Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60's front and rear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CR, Sep 6, 2004.

1. CR

CR Registered Member

D60\'s front and rear

Anyone have this setup in their K5?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: D60\'s front and rear

D60 front and FF 14 bolt rear is more common and stronger IMO. That's what I run and so do at least a hundred others here. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

rene

3. CR

CR Registered Member

I realize the 14 bolt FF rear is the most common replacement axle. I am exploring the option of a 60 rear for the following reasons. I can get bigger shafts with higher spline count. They are lighter with some more ground clearance. I will not be rock crawling and tire size will be around 36,and I plan to run disks on the axle. I also have seen where 14FF leaks around the pinion seals alot. I am /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif to the opinions of the forum.
    I am here to learn.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're only going to run 36s that can easily be done on 1/2 ton stuff if you're after superior ground clearance and a '60 would gladly take the load with stock axleshafts.

A 14 bolt is no more prone to pinion seal leaks than any other axle. It already has shafts that are very large, nearly unbreakable, and 30 spline straight out of the box. If you shave it, the ground clearance will be similar or better than any stock housing Dana 60. Disk brakes are also an easier swap.

It sounds to me that unless you want a selectable locker, the Dana 60 rear would be a poor choice. I'd imagine a 10 or 12 bolt rear that was sufficiently beefed would probably hold up just nicely, and a 14 bolt SF would be cheaper, easier to swap in, and work out great for you.

Of course there is always the 14 FF which is bombproof, easy to swap in, cheap and easy to put disks on etc.

In short....forget the Dana 60, it's not well suited to what you're doing unless you have unlimited budget and time.

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

You forgot to add another weak point of the 14 bolt axle... The lowest gear you can get for it is a 5.13:1. While that is low enough for most people (not me) some would prefer to have it a little lower than that (me!) With a '60 rear you could go into the 7:1 range IIRC You've already mentioned the choice of lockers and that the ground clearance isn't any better than a shaved 14 bolt so my job here is done. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Very few people need lower than 5.13 when running 36's anyways.

A SF 14 would be a nice choice for the rear with that size tire, and if upgraded a little a 10 bolt for the front would do the job nicely.

Almost everyone here that has gone one ton is running 38-44" tires, and at that size a 60 front just makes a lot more economical sense.

Rene

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Kinda funny how this post keeps coming up all the time, and no matter what, it seems until the $150 14 bolts are all gone, it'll be a great deal /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what about dana 70's... they aren't as common, but are strong, maybe stronger than a 14bff, have lowerr gears... etc. but parts for the is a bastard /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    what about dana 70's... they aren't as common, but are strong, maybe stronger than a 14bff, have lowerr gears... etc. but parts for the is a bastard /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The Chevy version is too wide.

Others have 23 or 30 spline axle shafts which isn't usually what you're looking for.

I don't believe the Dana 70 has the three pinion bearing design that makes the 14 bolt essentially bombproof either.

But having a '70 does open up some options.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh, what make of d70 are the right width?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    oh, what make of d70 are the right width?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't know, never looked into it that far.

Most of the guys running a '70 in a Chevy either don't care, or are using hummer beadlocks.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ohh I see. okay.

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

How can you compare a D60 rear axle to a 10 or 12 bolt????

It is JUST AS EASY to put disc brakes on a 60 rear as it is a 14FF. Why would you suggest he upgrade 1/2 ton stuff when a 60 rear can be found very cheaply also?

That logic confuses me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

If you can find a better deal on the 60 rear as opposed to the 14ff then get it and run it. If a 60 and 14FF are side by side with the same stuff for the same price, then go for the FF....Either will do you fine it sounds like....

14. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I am putting a 60 front and rear in my 'Burb....

15. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

When is the last time you saw a 70 with a broken pinion? I believe M J found that though the 70 has one less bearing, the other two are much larger thus the strength is probably about the same. I may be mistaken though.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    When is the last time you saw a 70 with a broken pinion? I believe M J found that though the 70 has one less bearing, the other two are much larger thus the strength is probably about the same. I may be mistaken though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right. Having three bearings isn't for making the bearings stronger though, it's for superior control over the potential movement of the pinion.

The main reason I mentioned this is because of differences in the design. The Dana 70 is more like a big version of a Dana 60 from what I understand, where a 14 bolt looks more like a bigger axle on the inside. I guess there are multiple carrier designs for the '70 so maybe the multi-piece carrier of the D70 is similar in design.

I'm just rambling at this point. We both know they're both good designs.

17. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

To add to your point the Dana axles have the pinion bearings spaced farther apart from each other and that makes for a very stable pinion support ( this design simply does not NEED a third pilot bearing ) .
    I think that the 14FF is a tremendous axle in strength and affordability but it is not for every application .

There are plenty of similar width , compared to our style trucks, Dana 70's with 35 spline axles out there.
    Tom

18. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

My thoughts added...

Dana 60 in the rear with 36s... nice choice. But, get high power or larger tires... time to upgrade the shafts.

Dana 70 rear... big fat pigs... worse ground clearance then a 14 bolt I believe.