Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D70 Front question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SF87K5, Jan 15, 2003.

1. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever heard of a D70 front axle out of a dodge W300? Everyone I know said no there is no front D70. Can someone help me please.

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Dodge put a Dana 70 front axle in 67-78 trucks that where 1-tons or larger. They had to be ordered special from the factory.
    Took a bit of looking on the net and calling but I found my info. Thanks for the help guys.

3. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

yes they did make D70 front diffs my buddy has one he was gonna put under an international it looks bad ass but the problem is that i think they all came drum brakes and if i remember correctly it had some type of burfields like a yota after looking at it i would just go D60

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is an open knuckle dana 70 out there. But there super rare. The closed knuckled drum braked ones are ones that I would pass on though. They have pretty small steering joints plus they have drum brakes /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Stick to looking for a D60...the D70's advantage is in ring gear size, but I don't hear of many 60's breaking ring & pinion gears. The D70 came under some 4x4 RV's that are VERY hard to find.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

To my knowledge, any open-knuckle Dana 70 front uses Dana 60 outers and 35-spline shafts anyway... except for 35-spline stubs (but not usually).

The bigger pumpkin hangs lower, so there goes some valuable ground clearance.

7. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I saw a site dedicated to sand drag pickups. Most all of them were pre '60s and Lots of them had a D70 front end. Sand Pullers