Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d70 open knuckle vs. d60 35 spline?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Jan 25, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It's not like I have a D70 open knuckle available, so this is purely academic.

Is an open knuckle D70 front axle really any stronger than a D60 front with 35 spline outer, full diameter (not alloy, just full diameter) inner and 1480s?

The D70 has a larger ring and pinion, but how often do those really break even under heavy use?
    The outers and ujoint would be the same. I don't know what the d70 uses for inners, but the inners I am using are full diameter 35 spline, brand new from Dana Spicer.

Just wondering about relative strength.
    -- Mike

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

My understanding (although I've never actually seen one) is that the 2 axles would be nearly identical with the exception of the diff area. The knuckle, brakes, inner axles, outer axles and axle joints should be the same.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The open knuckle Dana 70s I've put my hands on had Dana 60 outers... even the 30-spline stubs. Both were Marmon-Harrington units from 88-98 F-Superduty's.

Nothing larger that 35-spline (to my knowledge) has ever been used in a production Dana 70.

Here's a pic of that Dana 70:
    [​IMG]

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

U2SLOW - Is that a " B " molded into the top of the pinion webbing on that 70 ? I have seen a few conversion Dana 70's like that and I am trying to figure out if they are usually " B " series 70's or not . Thanks , Tom

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I think it depends on who built the axle. That one is essentially a rear-type pumpkin, since it doesn't have the leaf-spring shelf cast into the side. I can't tell from my pics if its a B or not. I'll have to check it next time I visit the shop where they have it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had a Dana 70 front from about a '70 Dodge W300. It had the leaf spring shelf on the passenger side, and a large "B" on top of the pumpkin.
    pic

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info ! Please post back next time you are at that shop and can look. So far all of the front D70's that I have seen have been rear chunks converted like that one - I did not know that a center section was casted that had the leaf spring perch on it for a 70 --Cool !!!

Not trying to spread sunshine all over your backside , but you are a damn fine source of information - THANKS !

Tom

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

more importantly!!!!
    is that a DANA factory crossover steering arm on the passenger knuckle?? part number pleazzzze!

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Nice try - I looked for part number too /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This cutesy nameplate might be lead...
    [​IMG]