Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D70?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Feb 10, 2005.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

This isn't really chevy question but I'm sure some of you can help. We just got a replacement dump truck for the cemetery. It's a F350HD (I don't get to choose what trucks we get). I been looking it over and preparing it for our use (installing hitch, cd player, ec...). Our old dump truck was 4wd, this one is only 2wd and I know I'm going to have some traction issues. I believe the rear is a D70 due to the big 70 cast on the top of the diff. I'd like to install a locker in the back. What can you tell me about the strength of this axle? It's a FF axle I can tell. The truck itself weighs 7,200lbs and will routinely haul an additional 6,000lbs of dirt in the cemetery from graves. Will a lock-rite be able to handle that kind of stress, a detroit? I want something I can install myself without having to reset the gears. How about the axle shafts?

Thanks in advance.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

To be honest I am suprised it is only a D70, I would have put money on it being an 80 for it's GVWR. Anyway, I would imagine a detroit could handle the wight but would be a PITA in a dump truck. I would prefer a Dana Power lock.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

What year F-350 is it ? Was it a Cab Chassis to start with ? A lot of older F-350 Cab Chassis came with Dana 70 HD's but they did not have the 4" tubes like the GM versions did .

Ford used several different Dana 70's through out the years "U" - "B" -and HD series just to name a few . Get a B.O.M. # off of the passenger side rear axle tube and it will correctly identify what you got .
    HTH , Tom