Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D70HD question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Aug 25, 2006.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at buying b454Rat's set of dually D60/D70HD axles. Since this is the proper forum for tech questions, i got a few before I can buy them.

To swap in the D70, will i need to relocate spring perches & shock mounts?

Will H1 rims fit over the dually hubs on a D60 & D70HD without any mods?

Any other gotcha's of which I should be aware? finally looking to ditch the 10bolts. I know I'll need the ubolts and spring plates and an appropriate yolk but anything else?

thanks all.
    Chris

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The only thing that I can think of is moving the spring perchs, 1 tons are 40 1/2" IIRC and 1/2 and 3/4 tons are 43 1/2". I'll check on the hummer rims, and then the rear driveshaft, either get a bigger one, or get a conversion joint.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The H1's will fit unmodified with no problems, Boz42, MTMike, myself and a couple of others are doing this.

Like b454rat said you spring perches will need to be moved. The shock mounts will need to be moved also.

I got my spring plates from Blue Torch Fab (vendor here), IMO they're really nice. You might have problems with the brcke lines fitting as the banjo bolt size changed depending on axle and year model.

4. SkysTheLimit

Cool. thanks for the info. I'll probably just get a heavy duty driveshaft as opposed to a conversion joint. The shaft I have was cut for a 4" lift and now i have a 6" so i could stand to get a new one.

Brakes... pfff :D

thanks all

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Your driveshaft may still work. The pinion on the 70 is longer than 1/2 ton stuff so you might get lucky and just need the conversion joint.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like others mentioned, you should have to move the perches and reverse the shock mounts. Shouldn't be any extra work going with a D70 over a 1 ton 14BFF.

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Yes.

Yes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hi-Res

My D60 has a goofy-ass yoke on it and uses a 1330 U-joint. I just got a $16 conversion joint to go from my 1310 HAD shaft to the 1330 yoke on my D60. The rear 1350 worked fine, but you can also get a conversion joint for that too.

The shock mounts needed to be relocated on my D70 too

8. SkysTheLimit

Thanks for the pics MTMike. I like your truck. you need some kind of plate for it about being an Avalanche's granddaddy or that Avalanches are for little girls or something. :wink1: