Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Da Da Da Daaaa!!! w/ pictures...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok now that your all expecting something incredible to happen I'll tell ya' what I did today. I was in a pretty crappy mood because I had just gotten home from a funeral at the church for a very loved and respected man who was one of the pioneers and leaders when our church broke off from another one over 40 years ago. I didn't really feel like doing anything that involved interaction with other people but I remembered what someone (I think beaterk20 told me on Pirate) that I should try to change the filter and fluid on my transmission and that might be the cause of my problems that I've been having and the reason that it's been slipping so bad....

So I started as every other project with this truck seems to start, changed into some old clothes and crawled under the beast. I think that whoever put a pan on without a drain plug should be shot but I had no choice so I pulled off the bolts from one side of the pan then loosened the others so I could pry it open a little and let it drain, not to my surprise I wasn't a seasoned veteran as this was my first ATF, Filter and gasket change on the transmission so it went everywhere. Once I got it off I wasn't too pleased to find that the magnet looked like a chia-pet with an metal shaving fro. So I obviously have roasted something internally but I decided to move forward with the change...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next thing I checked was the filter and not to my surprise it was not just dirty, it was gunked up beyond all belief. Although I had obviously roasted something I thought it might just be shavings and figured that a nice fluid/filter change might be one of the main sources of my problem....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I changed the filter and tried to wipe out all the old ATF (which was really really cloudy and gunky. It also had a funny burnt smell to it when I dipped my finger in and smelled it.) and cleaned off the remains of the old gasket. I was really surprised at how many wires were in the cover, what do they do?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I got everything put back together and I let my dad torque the bolts up (I like having this new Haynes manual btw) I slowly filled it back up stopping after about 5 Qts. then checked the fluid level. It seemed close so I figured what the heck, I put it into R and backed out off of the lawn and put it into D and slowly went around the block a few times. I came back and checked the level again in P with the truck as level as I could get it, I topped it off and it was good to go. I called my buddy at his shop here in town and he said that he'd take the old ATF off my hands (which I appreciated) so we hopped in and went for a drive across town...

It still needs a gearing change, those 3.08's feel like I might have to get out and push from time to time but overall I did notice a difference. It feels more solid and stays in gear (at least on the flats) and doesn't hunt like it used to from time to time. I still (as always) have to let off for a split second for the tranny to shift but it shifts smoothly and firm. Once I get the correct gears (hopefully soon, I got a PM from a vendor on Pirate since CCOR won't PM me and a few other guys on here back, if your listening please PM me about that quote) I'll have a tranny shop set the TV cable so it'll shift correctly but otherwise I think this has been a well spent $40 on a band aid that will at least help until I can get things squared away. Thanks for reading!

Oh, I almost forgot...how do you all like the new Avatar? I color matched the outside shading to the color on the website so it doesn't have those harsh border lines. I think it came out pretty well except that the truck had so much shine it looks almost fake scaled down on an Avatar. ;)

-Avery

2. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

My ex girlfriend years ago had a Bronco 2 that did the same thing. Every couple months I would crawl uder there and change that stuff out, and it would help it out a bit. It eventually died. Once you get those new gears, things will be running alot smoother, it will take a ton of stress off of the tranny.

Al

3. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

dont delay with the tv cable settings. those are usually the problems with the 700r4s

and, not to burst your bubble but more than a few times i have heard people change their trans fluid and it works great for a few weeks, and then totally blows the tranny up. hasn't happened to me, but I know of 3 people directly who that has happened to, not sure if its coincidence or not.

did you install a drain plug while you had the pan off?

the wires are for your lock up solenoid, which you should have changed at the same time.

oh well.

good luck :wink1:

4. Avery4jc

Thanks guys, don't worry about bursting my bubble 3rd shift. I figured it was toast anyways so I am just happy that it's going to work until I can have Mad Dog build me a 2nd generation 700r4. That will be after the gears though, I don't want to put in a new tranny before I have that squred away.

Man this has had a ton of views, that title must have worked. lol

As always thanks for the support guys.

-Avery

5. Avery4jc

Wow I went and took a shower to clean the gunk off of me and there is 60+ views in 45minutes and nobody likes the new Avatar? :)

-Avery

6. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Looks like a dropped 67-72 C-10 to me :o

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well it is a pretty truck but it would be a lot cooler with a 4inch lift and 40s.

8. Avery4jc

lol, you guys are funny. I was joking, I know that it's not everyone's cup of tea. I figured it would be on here for maybe a few hours before I was flammed for it but it's been on here for over a day and nothing. I guess I've been on Pirate too much lately. Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

-Avery

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I like the avatar, if you need the trans to last a little while longer the lucas trans fix stuff is the bomb. When I blew up one of my trans(transmissions don't like me) it was slipping so much we couldn't even get it on the trailer. Bought this stuff threw it in and it went up on the trailer. With my last trans I could get one day of wheeling out of it before it would start to slip so much it would barely move. I haven't ever used any other trans stop slip type stuff but if you need your trans to last a bit longer go pick up a bottle of this stuff, its Lucas transmission fix and is usually about 10 bucks

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

:confused: With a 4" lift, that thing STILL wouldn't even be near stock height...:D :p:

11. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

That fluid looked pretty toasty, and Im sure it smelled pretty bad too. Unfortunately, that trans is on its last leg. But looks as though it will last a few more miles. Dude, definitely get those gears in that thing as soon as you can. And dont drive on your new tranny until you do so. Dont ask me how I know....:doah:

12. Avery4jc

Thanks for the tip Blazinzuk, I'll check it out.

K5er4Life, I am just hoping to get the gears done in the next week or two. My end goal is to get what everyone else has 14/44 or 14/60 under her but at the same time I can get a set of gears and a master install kit just for the rear until I can get the new axles, then I can get a new tranny put in it and not worry about toasting it too.

-Avery