Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dad gave me a 76' Kawasaki KZ 750 pics added

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rdn2blazer, Mar 18, 2007.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

(pics in post farther down)

so my dad bought a KZ 750 from the old lady next door to him for 200 bucks. she said it was running when her son parked it in the garage some 10 plus years ago. he was killed just a few years ago. anyways my dad has had it for bout 2 or 3 years and has not touched it. she had no key to it.

so he said I could have it if I wanted it, so I took him up on the offer. it has 17,844 miles on it, is pretty clean for a 31 year old bike. it does need some TLC and some parts replaced from sitting for so long in a desert climate but it has beed garaged for the entire time.

its pretty dusty and as I said there are thing that are dry rotted like hoses, tires, grommets but over all it looks fairly restorable. not that I NEED another project but with the price of gas these days I figured why not. if I put 800 to 1000 bucks into it and it runs great COOL! I will have a decent street bike that did'nt cost me much.

first I will just try to get it running before I put a dime into cosmetics.

the Kawasaki KZ's and Suzike GS's were street bikes that guys used to setup as drag bikes. this is how I want to do it. I want to flat black it out completely except for the tank emblem will be white. put an extended swing arm on it, lower it and put a drag fairing on it. try to find a KERKER exhaust for it. might go as far as a set of Anodized Black EXCELL Aluminum Rims for it.

I am enthusiastic about this new project. so we will se how it goes. it will be an old school street bike. even bought a platform style bike lift from a guy at work that bought it last year and only used it once. he paid 250 for it, I got it for 150, it like new. its like what a dealer would use, just not as high end.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

pics, or what?

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Is it the Kawaski green/Eddie Lawson replica? If it is the replica restore it would be worth more $$$ they made very few of them.

4. rdn2blazer

got to take some, will post them up later today.

5. rdn2blazer

oh how I wish, but no, just a regular KZ.

6. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Still it is a nice score.

7. Confedneck79K30

cant wait to see the new project... **tapping toe**

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

cool,my friend stll has his kz900.that biatch is loud!!!HA HA i'm amazed he can still find parts for it.i would PM Southernspeed. i think Mark could help you with any questions.

9. rdn2blazer

here are just a few pics. the lift will work for my dirt bike too so I did'nt just buy it because of this bike. I pulled the plugs today, they looked great. need to sorce a key for it. found a ton of sites with new and used parts for it too.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  10. rdn2blazer

one more of the ramp.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  11. Confedneck79K30

nice, fix it and ride the heck outta it

12. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

x2!!

We had a late 70's Kawasaki KD175 dirt bike that my dad actually used in his business (cotton consultant). We ran that thing for years and I can honestly say that the only time a wrench touched that bike was when we had to replace the throttle cable. That was the most reliable bike/3-wheeler/4-wheeler we have ever owned. The problem was that back then Kawasaki was not as popular as it is today and dealerships were few and far between, so it took forever to find that part. Oh yea, Al Gore had not invented the internet yet :doah: .

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thats a heck of a deal you got on that ramp...nice! I have been thinking about getting myelf a bike to ride on the road. I have been spending so much time in the dirt on two wheels I think I want a go fast machine to cruise on.

14. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

The Eddie Lawson Replicas were made in 81-82 and they were based on the kz1000j models . If in pristine condition they can fetch alot of money . My Buddy Kirk has a mint 82 lawson replica with 2700 original miles & it's ALL original . He had a guy from Japan offer him 30k for it and he turned it down . I've seen other people take kz-550, 650 , 750 & 1000's and paint them up like the ELR'S but they are not ture ELR's . I have had a few gpz 550's and a 82 gpz 750 and they were very durable bikes . rdn2blazer , That bike will last along time if maintaned properly . 17 thousand miles is nothing for that bike . Weisco makes a nice 860cc kit and there is still some good aftermarket hope up stuff out there for it . I would junk the stock carbs and find a set of gpz 750 34mm carbs and bolt them on . Way better driveabilty . I wish I could find a deal like that . Good luck .

15. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I say mad max look and beat the hell out of it!!!! Is it a twin or a inline four?

16. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I can tell by looking at the cases that it's a twin :( . They aren't bad but you can't do much with them . It's a good commuter bike . I'd paint it up to look like an old Norton or Triumph :haha: . That would sure p!$$ some people off :D .

17. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

nice score! post pics whenever you get it finished.

18. boggerless

i love that stand. my friend has a similar one.i found on an old bike i had there was two wire plug for the ignition.i used a u shaped piece of wire to jump it.i lost the key so.:laugh: i think John might have a seat,his bike is green.

19. rdn2blazer

COOL, thanks guys for the props. I cant wait to get going. ofcourse money is ALLWAYS tight so I will do what I can when I can. not going to be in a break neck hurry to get it "finished" but I will start looking for parts as funds will allow.

ofcourse my woman just shakes her head at this new project since it just another of many "under construction" :D

its allways easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission I allways say. :haha:

20. boggerless

the plug should be up by the gooseneck.i went from four years of financial hell,to HELL YEAH for a few months right back to hell.:rolleyes: my friend John might have some parts??i'll check.:D