Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dad pisses me off...how much you guys think just basic rack for my truck would cost.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Aug 21, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my dad is pissing me off, he keeps procrastinaiting on welding the brackets for the seats and he wont let me learn on my own cuz he said he has to move one of the vehicles to weld cuz lack of space in the back yard. anyways how much you guys think it would run to have someone build me a basic flatbed on the back of my truck that'll hang a inch or two over the sid of frame. or some one who has welder locally could hellp me out with this. thx

2. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

why dont you stop whining about your dad not helping you out and start moving the rigs out of his way yourself? and be thankfull that your dad can do that kind of stuff and has those kind of tools.
    As for the flat bed materials alone are going to be roughly $250 or maybe more or less depending or your design.
    the price of metal is going up though so the best way is just to draw it up and go get a Quote on it. :D

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

free flatbed..

I got some pallet racking free from a warehouse--they were junking some that was different than the new ones they were upgrading too..I made a nice flatbed frame out of it for my K20 I had,and put a crane on it to lift engines and other stuff up..try looking for some at a factory or warehouse,or at a scrapyard...even if you have to buy a few sections used,its not too expensive--about 30-50 bucks worth would be enough to make the frame for a flatbed,and the pallet racking is strong but fairly light,and welds good too.. :crazy: ...

Most pallet racks are 39" wide..I welded 2 sections side by side and it measured 79"--the exact width of the widest point on the truck cab! :laugh: --no cutting needed..if you just want a "skinny" flatbed,39" is about perfect to overlap the frame rails (34" wide roughly) by a few inches on either side!..if you let someone build a bed,it could be 500 bucks easy before its on the truck,at todays labor rates... :crazy: --you could BOLT pallet racking together if welding is beyond your capability.. :crazy:

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I don't want to weld on my own stuff when its this hot outside, so I don't blame your dad. :eek1: You post up about all the other things your truck needs, so how about finishing up all your loose ends first? By the time you get the exhaust on, the engine running well, I think you needed body mount bushing, and the million other things you want done, then it might be cool enough outside to get your dad to help. :thinking:

5. down4thakrown

im not whining im just looking at other options so you 2 can go f*** off, ive did everything else to the truck outside in the 120* weather. so go f*** your selves.
    he just wont let me use the welder. we got 93 chvy l/b, yota p/u, 1 medium size ut. trailer, home made toy hauler, 2 sheds, a pool, bbq, a jetski trailer leaning on the fence, a small dirt bike trailer on the fence, a sandrail, ping pong table, and then theres my truck far out corner in the grass a.k.a. the dogs bathroom,and we got 2 labs and an african sheppard. so i clean up poop every time i want to wrk on my truck now.and sometimes they decide they wanna take a dump 2 feet away :mad: and it really sux when a bolt drops and boucnes off the plywood i lands in the grass :mad:
    and after my truck is done im moving out, im jsut looking to build somthing to hold tire,tools,air tank....... until i can get settled down in my own house and i got space to work.

6. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Um...you gonna be able to afford that toy when you got yer own place? Where are you?

7. down4thakrown

sure will,maybe not right away, thats why im making capable enough to keep me happy till i can afford to do what really want.

8. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

BadDog is in Phoenix. He's cool....kiss his butt, maybe he'll help you out.

9. down4thakrown

alright, thx i'll check him out.

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Not while cussing out associates of his you won't need to. You should learn to watch what you say/type.

Especially towards folks that live in the same town you do that could maybe save your ass one day.

Just a bit of advice. Take it as you will.

11. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

lol
    very true.

12. down4thakrown

they need to watch what they say, there the ones putting words in my mouth. i never said anything bout being too hot outside. since i started building my truck it has been to 3 differant houses. 1 to do the axles and tranny/tcase and suspension,(that was done in a rock bed) 2 body swap(done in a dusty back yard) and 3 home and at home it had to be moved again from frt yard to back yard.

13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Ko but you don't tell them to f'off. Not a good idea. Bob happens to be a friend of mine and didn't really like the way you spoke/typed to him.

Oh and by the way, they weren't puttin words in your mouth they were just tellin you to stop whining about the fact your Dad hasn't taken the time to do you a favor.

Actually, Bob was offering up some ideas to keep you occupied until it cools off a bit.

14. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

things go a lot easier if your nice to people.

but as far as your truck goes, id advise workin on other stuff until you can get your dad to help you out. i mean you could even tell him that you're gonna get the other projects, and when you finish that stuff, you'd appreciate some help welding up a flat bed.

when you need help, you're askin for someone else's work and time. there's not need to rush things dude.

i think have fun is the best advice ive seen so far in regards to this hobby.

15. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

K, calm down guys. The man was just trying to vent, and there's nothing worse than telling him to "quit whining". I could tell you to quit whining about the way he reacted but I'm not like that. So get off his case, let him vent if he wants. If you want to cork the vent, that's just a bitch move in my opinion. Though I don't the the suggestions reply was a bad one, the first one was. I completely understand why he's so pissed off at the first one. His reply was completely unecissary and solved nothing, just made him more pissed off at an already bad situation. Also, your replies didn't do a whole lot either. Ever heard "arguing on the internet is like the special olympics -- win or lose, you're still a retard"? Calling him out will do nothing but further his frustrations, so say it like this:
    "I understand where you're coming from, I hate it when I feel helpless about getting something done. But there are several things you could do in the mean time." Like the second reply. Quit whining was just a dumb, and rude thing to say. His reaction was might have been a bit extreme, yes, but not completely unpredicted.
    As for you (I forgot your name while typing this... so whoever is mad at his cussing), you could say "I understand the frustration, and completely feel for you, but it's not necissary to cuss someone out. Though his comment was out of line, doesn't mean it should throw you out of line, just let it slide, no biggy." You don't have to call him out and say now that someone acted like an asshole to him, and he reacted wrong, that people in his area aren't gonna help him out, because you're wrong. If I were in his area, sure I'd help him. So all around, everyone could have done something different. As far as the "stop whining guy"... this was HIS vent thread, next time you feel like stirring the pot, do it elsewhere. Don't cork the man's vent, that's just gay. Think it to yourself, but telling him he's whining does nobody any good. What'd you expect??? A "Oh... you're so right, I am just whining... thanks for showin' me that"... honestly...

16. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

perfect...

17. down4thakrown

b/s he said made it sound like i was blamin my dad not wanting to weld in the heat. and its not that. actually i would rather learn how to do it. i ask my dad" wheres a good spot for me to learn how to weld back here" his response"i dont want you doin any welding when im not here" my response"why" his" i dont have to explain my self" when he knew as soon as i took my truck home that im goin to have to do welding. it starts and runs alot better since i put the new carb on there, it actually stays runnin in gear and moves i just dont have any seats in it. i need the body bushings for the rack. the cab is bolted tight, the only little thing now is putting the top radiator support on and the reason i havent is cuz i havn't gone to ace to get the bolts.
    after i put seats in it i'm taking it down the the exhaust shop, then chucks to get the carb jetted. and then all theres left is the rack and im done. it just made got me mad cuz there saying im whining when they dont even know the crap im goin through just to find a place to keep/build my truck.

18. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Completely understand bro. I hate it when I can't get stuff done and the guy who can doesn't understand your want to hurry it up. And I don't blame you for being pissed at them calling you whining, but seriously, just don't bother with them. Let them call it what they want, you don't need to explain why you are mad at what you're mad at. That's why it's called venting. Screw the guy who doesn't let another vent...

19. down4thakrown

thx man, i'll drink to that one. (cheers) i know i did step outta line i just wanna get this done b4 i move out and really want/need to move out. and they weren't helpin. tellin ya aint ez trying to get some being 21 and still liveing at home. kinda makes you feel like a loser, thats when i go look at my truck and say "yep it's worth it"

20. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

feel ya there man. Can't stand it when people try and tell me why I'm wrong when I'm venting. That's not what I'm looking for. And I completely understand why you want it done sooner than later, as I have a project of my own the requires a lot of help from my dad.