Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dad won't let me put a snorkel on! Some one comment to change my dads mind please.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82Jimmy, Jun 14, 2000.

1. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Dad won\'t let me put a snorkel on! Some one comment to change my dads mind please.

My dad thinks they are a waste of money, time and screws up my engine. I really like them and I can really use them at the river. Can anyone say something that would change my dads mind? Th

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Re: Dad won\'t let me put a snorkel on! Some one comment to change my dads mind please.

Tell him that you can either spend $300 on a snorkel or spend a couple a grand and a lot of time when the engine sucks water and cracks the block.

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]
    YEEEE HAWWWW[​IMG]

3. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Re: Dad won\'t let me put a snorkel on! Some one comment to change my dads mind please.

I've seen a HYDRO'D motor. Not a pretty site so figure cost of a motor, plus if it happens somewhere remote and your buddies can't drag you out Imagine the cost of a wrecker...........

Wasn't me.............

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've seen a hydrolocked motor as well. Under my hood. It's a gut-wrenching feeling. The intake was 42 inches off the ground. Apparently, the water was just a tad deeper than that. [​IMG]

It was an almost new '87 Corvette 350. Had about 7,500 miles on it. The block was wasted after connecting rod number 7 ventilated the water jacket and oil pan. All of the upper end was OK, so I bolted it all on the 383 that's in the ThunderTruck(tm) now. [​IMG]

Luckily a friend knew someone with a car trailer. I was about 70 miles from home so the tow bill would have been a killer.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

If it's your truck and your money, well.....

behemoth K5

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

There is no way that a properly set-up snorkel system will "screw up your engine".

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Boats work good in rivers too!! Maby tell him if he wont let you put on a snorkel to get you a Jet Ski or somthing!!!

8. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is a snorkel sounds like something I could use, if it'll save my engine from the water.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

it's just that a snorkel that seals your air cleaner and then you run a 'pipe' out of your engine compartment up the side of the window frame and your engine breathes from up there.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Did you pay for the Blazer and if so can you swim. If you have answered yes to both questions then snorkel away!!!

11. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well I can swim but I didn't pay for the Jimmy its on PERMANATE LOAN quote my dad. It didn't start for 2 years and I read in some books and replaced the spark plugs and Oh may gosh i started. Then everything got started to go off the end. Need a new camshaft..lots of crap....kinda cool because I know if I ever get bored theres a pile of work with no deadline waiting for me.

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Just show him how good they look!
    http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thmpr
    It cost me an engine the year before I put it on, I wish I had spent the 35.00 then. Kinda like hindsight eh?

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

13. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.

Go rent "Danties (sp?) Peak". There is a super cool 'burb with a snorkel...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

14. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I think it's "Dantes Peak", anywho, cool 'Burb, but I think he had some sealing done on the engine as well, he took that thing through some serious deep water. Still, it was very cool.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

15. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

I hydro locked my motor. Installing a new one now. before it goes back on the road it will have a snorkel. Older K5's have a tendency of sucking up water through the breather that is mounted on the grill. If you decide not to put one on, just drive real slow through water. this will help.

fix'n finally

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Another place to seal is the dipsticks. They dont offer a 100% seal where they go throught the block and tranny case..

I agree with everyone here. It is either money for a snorkel or money for a motor.

Although i filled my motor with water once and after I drained it, it ran fine after that.. One good suggestion for you, if you do fill the engine with water, dont try and start it! Even if there isn't that much in there. Jus drain the oil and pull the plugs and let the water drain!

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

17. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.

I hydrolocked my motor after dropping it in water upto the moulding on the side. After the engine cooled it pulled water from the exhaust into the heads. It took me 3 starters & 5 solenoids to figure it out. I pulled the plugs & turned the starter over. After putting it back together it ran pretty darn well. Now the computer keeps throwing codes, but who cares! It runs.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

18. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

where can you buy one of these snorkels for a 78? I have been interested in one but have never seen any ads for this year