Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Daddy Needs a New Pair of Shoes - Gas Filler Spilling

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CooknwithGas, Dec 9, 2002.

1. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I installed a new gas tank and sending unit and I can't fill the tank without it spraying gasoline out of the filler - this happens when the tank is mostly empty.

The first time this happened, I soaked my shoes. (I stand back now).

Once it gets to be 1/2 to 3/4 full, the problem stops. Very slow filling is required or it sprays gasoline back out the filler.

I have the return line connected and the vent line is connected to the filler up near the cap. The filler hose is new and all hose connections to the tank are new.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

This is just a thought, but if you replaced the tank, it may have baffles or or internal structures that weren't present in the old tank (maybe due to safety regulations instituted since your truck was manufactured). If you fill it fast, gas may back up in front of that structure because it can't get past the obstruction fast enough, or alternatively, a high-pressure air pocket may form behind one of these structures, then try to depressurize out the only path it has, pushing fuel back up the filler neck. I know this doesn't solve your problem, but at least you now have a possible explanation. As a possible solution, you might check to see if the vent hose or the return line is crimped somewhere, like maybe right up on top of the tank. Hope this helps.