Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Daily driver ideas?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by joez, Mar 12, 2006.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Well, since i sold my K5, i am now down to one truly road worthy truck, and its currently down with a blown oil cooler line. My toyota, ill just say that even with a healthy 22R, that motor does NOT like turning my 38.5" boggers with only 4.10's in the axles. I can leave the front case in low range and its comfortable up to about 50mph, but thats about it. So in a pinch its only good for driving to work and arround town, it wont do the interstate to school. That, and it only gets single digit fuel economy, and requires premium.

So, i think i want to pick up a daily driver, and just leave the K2500 for dragging the toyota arround and for longer road trips. Id like to get something that gets decent mileage (Chevy gets 12-13mpg average on winter fuel with lots of idle time, 16 on the highway) and is at least quicker than my chevy. You know, something a bit more fun to drive. The only thing is, i would like to either buy or build something at least a little different. Budget, i would like to keep it under 6-7K, age doesnt really matter. Heres what i have in mind right now:

96-99 Ford Taurus SHO
    86-87 Buick Regal T-Type
    88-91 Mazda 323 GTX
    82-85.5 Toyota Celica Supra
    88-89 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
    Early 90's N/A Nissan 300ZX
    Lincoln Mark VIII
    89-92 Ranger with a swapped in 2.3 Turbo, and possible long travel suspension.
    Maybe a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, but i have yet to research them at all.
    If i could find a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 i would be all over it, but they are a little too rare, although they do make a mean sleeper.

Anybody have any other ideas? I havent decided for sure if im even going to buy another vehicle, but im rolling the idea arround in my head.

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at Mark VIIIs on ebay. From my research, it appears that they share the FOX platform with the Mustang. THAT means I can buy a 460 swap kit and put my 370 horse 429 in a Lincoln!!! The Mark 8s are going from less than 1k to 6k on ebay. They get my vote for a DD. Just pull that 32 valve pipsqueak and put a real motor in it.;) ;)

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Why not just pick up a 5.0 Mustang and get a real car.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Because everybody and their uncle has one, and if im going to go that route, id buy a Camaro long before i bought a mustang.

5. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

stay away from the SHO my buddy had one, and finding parts for it are next to impossible

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm dailly driving a [​IMG] 2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS coupe. Decently little car, you can set up a heck of a stereo system in them.

7. gauder

gauder Banned

9C1 spec Caprice. Cheap, LT1 power, parts are cheap.

Even better, find an LT1 powered caddy and swap a six speed in it. Can be made to handle, still ride like a caddy, and lots of "passing power" available. Takes all the same upgrades that the impala ss's and f-bodies do. Up until the cts-v's came out, nobody ever expects to get owned by a caddy!

8. dogdaysunrise

get an s-10 blazer. Great little beaters.

9. gauder

gauder Banned

Yup, and they accept V8's quite nicely. I've owned a few of them. Can be made to handle quite well (the front suspension is basically the same as the g-bodies). Ever seen a typhoon or syclone?

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I personally think you need to get your head checked if you don't want to daily drive your diesel K2500 and only leave it hooked up to a trailer and toyota.

You will spend more money on having a third, small commuter car in insurance, registration, and regular maintance than what it would save with slightly better fuel mileage over your 6.5TD.

If you don't want to drive your K2500 daily for some reason I'd sell it and buy both a small car for your DD and an old C or K series 70's-80's pickup for a towrig that costs much less to have around.

If you can get 17-20mpg on the highway and 13-16 in town with your 6.5TD K2500, it will be hard to find a different vehicle worth owning and driving that can actually pay for itself vs. the 6.5 truck.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

one word
    moped
    awsome gas mileage

12. dogdaysunrise

mopeds are like fat chicks. They are fun as hell to ride around until your friends see you with it.

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I never said i dont like driving it, in fact i love driving it, but there are times when its a PITA, like at school. Its not even a crew cab and it takes up two parking spaces, and getting it in and out sometimes takes 2-3 shots. Its a great long distance traveler, which is why no matter what i bought i would still take this truck on road trips, or any time ill be in it for more than a few hours. I am just looking for something more fun to drive locally, something decently quick that gets decent fuel economy, and handles well. Nothing on that list gets great fuel economy, the supercharged MR2 would be the best and even those only got mid to upper 20's, so thats not a primary concern. Im just not going to go buy a 454SS for a daily driver, or anything that gets much worse mileage than my '95.

Everything ive ever owned has been rediculously slow, my '95 is the quickest out of all my trucks and its not exactly fast. It does alright, but its still a dog. My '95 is completely paid for, and isnt costing me much to insure with my driving record. Which is why im considering a DD. Im not doing it to save money, buying another car to save money doesnt exactly make a whole lot of sense, especially not with what im looking to spend. Im just in a position where i could afford another car, and possibly buy myself something quick and fun to drive to work and school every day.

If all i was looking for was a cheap comuter car, id just go buy a beater import for $750 and drive it till it was dead.

14. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

The one car that stand's out on your list is a 88-89 mr2 sc . I have driven a few and they are nice cars . I have a 89 mr2 (not sc) and it's a great car and does well on gas . My wife drives it mostly (so I don't kill it :o ) . I picked up a 84 toyota tercel 4x4 wagon cause it's great on gas and it's a toyota :D .

15. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

you want something with some nuts, that is fun to drive ....

I have 2 words and a acronym (sp?) for ya

Grand Prix GTP

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ride comfy in the Mark 8
    you wont regret it

17. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I'd stay away from the Grand Prix, or grand am, everyone I have known that had one had problems, from major water leaks to blown transmissions.

18. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

*shrug* ... mom's had NO issues with hers.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Haven't heard about that problem with the N-body. Lower intake manifold gasket is comman on the V6's, but that's the only widespread thing I've heard about with the GM N-body.

20. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Well, since the only thing i have road worth is my trailer, ive been driving our spare car, a 2000 Honda accord. And i think ive decided that i cant own anything low to the ground and quick, it seems that every time i look down at the speedometer im doing at least 20 over the speed limit. Today while rocking out on my way to work, i caught myself doing nearly 70 in a 40, and in a spot that i know is heavily watched by cops. Im to used to being able to feel and hear my speed with my trucks, and i cant do that in this car. Hell, even in my K5 with the big stereo drownning out all other discenrable noises i still almost never sped, and rarely did i pay attention to the speedo since it was so far off it was nearly useless anyway.

Maybee its just the slushbox throwing me off, ill have to drive a few manuals and see if that helps. If it doesnt, i think ill just get another truck and slowly build the prerunner ive always wanted. If it does help though, i'll have to rework my list.