Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

daily driver(update)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Dan, Jan 24, 2003.

1. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

ok who uses there blazer as a daily driver.how far do you drive to and from work?the reason i'm asking is because i'm thinking of getting another blazer for a daily driver/trail rig .any advice

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: daily driver

For a daily driver, I wouldn't get to wild with it. I'd probley do a 89 to 91 with a 4" suspension lift 3/4 Ton axles (373 gears) and 33" tires. Maybe some Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers 2.25" dual exhaust with a pair of 2 chamber flowmasters. A good alarm, and a big stereo system !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I used to drive my k10 everywhere. To work was about 30-35 miles each way, but I had to take my duaghter to daycare which was 20 miles out of the way.
    It worked fine, except the mileage sucked bigtime. And my driver's side door didn't seal right so anytime it rained I got wet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    My new truck is much nicer, but it spends a lot of time in the driveway. I'd like to make it a DD, but I always have stuff I want to do to it that takes it out of commission for lengths of time, so it isn't practical.
    -- Mike

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Mine is a DD, so far I have a 4" lift 35's, 4.10's, detroit in the back, 4 wheel disk, and a big stereo system. Too bad I only get 9 MPG /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif O yeah I drive 10 miles to school and back everyday, then I drive 14 miles on top of that to work and back everyday.

5. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

i'm thinking 87 - 91.now i just need to find one /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Thats why you guys should take luv more seriously. I can go alot of places off road and i get... 20MPG!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Thats why you guys should take luv more seriously. I can go alot of places off road and i get... 20MPG!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwuhauhuhuh. I get 21 mph with my 96 fullsize even though it's a V6 it's still a fullsize with 21 mph. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Mine was a dailey driver for years. I had a 4" lift with 35's and it was fine. I still drive it to work now and then when the weather is good.

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i drive my suburban everywhere and i drive it a lot too. out to my friend's house 1-2 times a week at about 30 minuites away, and to work about 20 minuites away twice a day mon-fri. about half highway and half surface roads.

i have 7" total lift and 36X12.50 TSLs and with 3.73 they are bad for gas (about 8mpg) but then of course it is a suburban. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Thats why you guys should take luv more seriously. I can go alot of places off road and i get... 20MPG!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is that all you get out of that lil thing /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif?????
    My 89 K5 gets 20 no problem on the freeway if i keep it under 60. And go anywhere off road (if it will fit /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)
    Its a daily driver. 40 mile round trip to work.
    I also wheel it pretty hard... Pics

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

My 1979 K10 is a daily driver with 350 V8, SM465, Np205, 10B front, 12 bolt reat &amp; 3.73's (basically stock). With 31x10.50x15 tires I average 13-15 mpg depending on which way the wind is blowing. I have about a 94 mile drive to work one way right now, all interstate.

I like it better than a small car for comfort but do miss driving with cruise control...

13. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

My 88 is a daily driver. I probably drive about 300 mi or more per week. 10 mi to the gallon in winter, 12 in summer do to oxygenated gas and cold thick oil in my 14bff. I run 4.56s and 35 inch TSL SX. They even run pretty smooth with Equal. Tire noise is annoying but other than that. I can go anywhere that the damn tree huggers will let me! The only downside is when I want to tear it down I have to borrow a car or find rides.

Dave Cowley

14. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

My 88 SWB,SFA,D60,4.10s.38 TSLs is DD.Still get 14-18 MPG if I don't put foot in to hard.Over 450,000 miles and going for million. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Uhhhh Most of use could drive OVER a chevy luv /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    My wifes stock 79 is her DD. My 75 I drive to work about once a week just to keep it ready to go. But 9mpg is all it will get being 7ft tall and on 35's. It's bad for vehicles to sit. My dd is a Supra. Keith DD's his Blazer. His is pretty big but he does run 35's on the street and leaves the 42's in the garage.
    Here is my buddies 78 Chevy Luv that I helped him build. It has a built350 and a Th350. It's very reliable and he drives it often in the summer on nice day's The bottom is as clean as the top. The truck was completly dissassembled and everything painted. It has a room full of trophy's and awards. It usualy takes awards in any show that it's entered.
    [​IMG]

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Mines basically stock, 32' with 3.08 gears and I run 70 back and forth to work 65 miles each way. I think the blazers is great DD. Big enough to see over and around other stuff, 4x4 for snowy conditions, the 87-91 are EFI, they are big on the inside but small enough with a short wheel base to parallel park in that honda spot. Only bad thing is being downtown and trying to get in a parking garage!
    all around I would say about a 9/10 ( gas milage being the down fall )

17. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I drive my 89 K5 every day. It's stock and gets around 12 mpg but thats OK. I've had it a year next week and I put about 20,000 miles on it this year /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. The only things I've had to replace was the fuel pump and alternator, so I'm pretty happy with it

18. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I use mine a DDuty DDriver Just click on Tweety.
    Bill

19. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

ok been looking for the new K5.here's what i found 78 K5 new engine,new trans,new brakes ,rotors ,needs cosmetic work,interior work ,paint,3/4 ton axles and other stuff.guy says it is smogable.says it passes federal smog.not california smog but i can register and smog it in cali. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifsays he will smog it for me.lowest he'll go is 3000.00.is this to much ,is the smog thing correct, /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

He is responsible for the smog check before he sells it to anyone unless it sold as is for parts or rebuild.
    Bill