Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

daily driver

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nerraw117, Sep 10, 2005.

1. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

ok so here we go. i had a 97 ranger 4.0 that is used as a dd and i like it i guess, just a little too small. i also have a k5 that is not road worthy, needs alot of work. I wrecked the ranger so i have nothing to drive. i am looking for a dd and wanted to know what yall's opinions was. i have been looking at a fullsize chevy like a 94-98 1500 z71 ext cab but they are all around 9 grand. i guess i can squeze that if i finance maybe 5 and pay the rest cash. but anyway what does everyone say? maybe buy a 1000 dollar pos truck to drive to work and put maybe 2 grand into the k5 and get it ready or keep it just for the occasional driving? im just looking for opinions and who else would i ask besides ck5? :D

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd buy the cheapest vehicle that gets the best gas mileage for our current situation. It may be a little econo-box, but you're saving money. Kia and Hyundai make decent cars that are cheap and get EXCELLENT gas mileage, but the safety factor isn't there. That's my opinion though, and it's what I do.

Then sink all the rest of your money into the K5 for a play toy or nice weekend vehicle.

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I thought the f*rd was totaled? :D

4. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have a 01 expediton and a 95 2wd lowered s10 for my daily drivers.the s10 get 20 mpg in town

5. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

the ford was totalled. now i need a new dd, so my question is buy a nice dd like a 95 z71 and use all my money working a month and not fix up K5 or buy maybe 1-2 grand truck that runs and drop the rest of money into k5, maybe 1k but at least the truck will be payed off so my paychecks can go to the k5

6. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

if you dont need a truck for work, then get an early 90's Toyota Corolla or something, they are amazing on gas and will run for ever. Like BigOrange90Jimmy said get the cheapest car to run the most efficiantly and dump the money you save into the K5 and make it a firebreather.

7. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

well thats one of my probs when i had the ranger i was constanlty using it. putting alot of stuff in the bed and hauling alot of stuff for the k5.