Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Daily Driver?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dustinova, Dec 7, 2005.

1. dustinova

dustinova Registered Member

How many of you guys use your k5's as your daily driver? I ask because I think I may want to do just that. Currently, I have a 1990 C1500. It's a great truck, but I want 4wd. I really like the look of the 73-87 k5's, and the 73-87 trucks. Plus, I would love not having to deal with a computer controlled truck (as a side question, what year did GM start using computers in the k5?) Also, suggestions on what setup I should go for would be very helpfull (motor, tires, lift, gears, etc...) Thanks for any help!!!

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

mine is my dd. i love it to death, jus wish the mpg was a little better, but considering its a big brick on wheels it does decent.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I DD mine since I got it in 2001 . My Blazer is an 83 , non California truck , so my truck has no computer . The fusebox has empty slots where the fuses would be though . I run a 1976 Nova HEI , and a electric choke Quadrajet :D

4. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Think the first year for the TBI engines was '88, so the 88-91 K5's have the same electronic setup as your '90 truck.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

87 in the trucks for TBI . So it makes a 1/2 ton factory injected solid front axle short bed pickup a rare one year truck :D

6. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Why don't you want a computer controlled truck? Unless your gonna up the power past 280hp or so you won't have to touch it. Gm tbi is VERY simple and alot better than carb in drivability, low end torque, gas mileage, and off camber angles.

For some reason alot of people think efi means you'll have to be a computer genius.

7. dustinova

Well, I'm not completely against the TBI setup. I love the setup on my current truck, even though it only has a 4.3 in it. I've been looking into how to performance modify a TBI motor, and it all sounds fine until you get to the computer. I don't have the time to learn all of the ins and outs of burning my own chips for it, and I don't know if I could trust some guy that I've never met to take the info I give him, and have him burn a chip for me that will perform as I would expect it to. Also, I've worked on Carb'd motors in the past, and they are very easy to tune, and upgrade. I won't need to worry about the motor running when the truck is at an extreme angle, because I won't do that to a truck that is my DD. Then there's the whole emissions issue. The computer controled trucks have a lot more sensors and what not to control emissions. I'm all for having a clean running vehicle, but all those sensors are just more places that the motor could give me grief. I've been chasing these issues on my current truck ever since I bought it. Thanks for the replies! Keep em coming!

8. tin man

tin man 1/2 ton status

Right now my DD is my 74. It is an old truck but, it hasn't given me a bit of trouble. When I was moving back home from Az., my wifes injected ford broke down 60 miles into the trip. It promptly went up on the trailer and the real truck :wink1: came down to get me the rest of the way to Or. It drove 1300 miles without a hickup. There isn't anything wrong with not being injected in my book.

As for setup. When I had my 85 Blazer I had 36" tires, 410/14bolt, and a 4" lift. It was a good setup for me but, If you want to keep the gas economical, smaller tires are usually better.(especially if you have a stock gear setup.)

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

At 12 mpg my Burb would kill me as a DD. It's cheaper for me to have a car.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

89 TBI Blazer DD. I commute about 50 miles a day. Love the TBI and 700r4. get 18 MPG no problem on the highway. Great gas milage off road. too. Would never trade TBI and go back to the stone ages for a carb. I do all my own work on it. I have a good running modified TBI engine putting around 220 HP to the ground according to my G- Tech. Acually I think TBI is very very simple to work on. Just need a scanner and the computer tells you what is or is not wrong with it. My k5 is a DD with 33s locked front and rear. So I expect it to run anywhere I put it. It had better get me thru anything I want to drive it thru off road, get me back home, then get me to work on monday. I thought thats what a DD was:dunno:

11. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

my 86 is my dd it gets sucky gas milage with the bad running 350 and a 4 speed tranny so i get about 6 mpg but thats all gonna change because the engine is getting a complete overhaul

12. dustinova

So, if I wanted to put say 35" tires on it with a 4" lift, I should re-gear the rear end? Would 4.10's work fine? Would I have to re-gear both the front and rear differentials? This sounds like it could snowball really fast!

13. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

the first year computers were introduced into the c and k series trucks was in 1985. these trucks have an electronic controlled carb that is a headache. if you get one of these plan on replacing the carb with a non electronic one

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i ran 3.73s with 35s for the longest time. never had a problem. i could still lay down some rubber on takeoffs. only thing was that you couldnt really use overdrive. 4.56 would probably be ideal. yes ud need to regear front and rear

15. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

I got rid of a 54,000mi. 99 GMC SLT Z71 on 38's after I bought my Blazer. It just sat in the garage because I enjoyed driving my K5 so much. I don't think you'll regret it, I know I don't. I would recomend driving one first just so you know what your'e getting into. I don't drive but about 20 mi. round trip to work so I don't worry with gas mileage. 10-12 mpg would hurt if I had a commute.

16. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 90 Burb to be used as a dd and a tow rig for my 91 Blazer. I dd the Blazer right now. I don't care about mileage.

17. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I use mine as my daily driver. The 454 and 40" Boggers only get me 4MPG though! But it's a fun 4MPG. Don't run Boggers though, big mistake, I'm shopping for new street tires.

18. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

I have two 87's and I love them. They are totally reliable, make great power and get descent mileage (I am getting 14-15 on my stock rig and about 12 on my highly modified). I would suggest 87-91 for a DD. And if you do plan on modifying the TBI motor, there are a bunch of us here who have done it and we are here to help.

PS. Mine is for sale in the classifieds forum if your interested!

19. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[​IMG]

i drive mine 2 days during the week, and to run around in the evening and weekends:crazy:

this morning it was a little cold though..

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

gas is to $pendy for me to use my K5 as a DD... why not get a 5 speed 2 door metro for $500-1000 on craigslist and DD that? Seems like it wouldn't take long to make up that cost in gas money... 50mpg is the shizzel. :thumb:

j