Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Daily drivers, help me!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 25, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

All of you daily drivers out there who 4x4 I need some help. Im getting real confused with some posts saying what a good tire/size is for a DD and trail rig. I was thinking about 38's but maybe thats too high, and I was thinking TSL's, but everyone says they're loud and wear fast. So tell me what you got going for your truck!!!

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

geez, i just posted about my 38 tsl ride...check it out. The ride is def. solid!

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh, sorry, what was your post called? What do you mean solid? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the post is one the first page still...

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am running 37's on my DD. I am not much to go by as I would run 40's if the D60 didn't set me back so far. My DD is more of a street legal trail rig. (read: offroad rig with benifits /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif)
    I am also only running 4.5" of lift. The average for most of us in AZ is 5" (it would be 4" but shawn's '75 has 9" of friggin lift and that is ruining the curve /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif)

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got 35x16 boggers on my DD but I don't like them much on road. If I were you I would not run 38" TSL's on a DD. Honestly I think anything over a 35-36" tire on a street vehicle that wears fast is kind of stupid if it sees a fair amount of miles unless you have so much money you use some as toilet paper.
    It's one thing to run a big tire that wears good though.
    Big tires are expensive, hard to balance, and have bad road manners. If you wan't to run a large tire I would look at the 38" SSR, 38" TSLR, STS and Mickey tomphson tires seem to wear a little better than the swampers, the Baha belted tires wear decent but the new 38" kevlar FC's are where it's at as far as road manners vs. long life vs. good performance. Especially the older radial FC's. Hipinion is going to run 38's on a mostly street with occasional sand and trail truck and he was lucky enough to come up with an older set of those 38" FC radials with %90 tread left.(he bought them from me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) I bet those tires will be good for 40,000-50,000 miles and are the best in sand. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How much of a lift will I need for 38 TSLR's? 8 inch?

8. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

naw four inches and /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

and then /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I kind of a anti- /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif guy. So would 8 in work?

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

8 will work

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

8" might work depending on which tire it is and what rim size you have.

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I kind of a anti-/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif guy. So would 8 in work?

[/ QUOTE ] That is okay I can respect that. Now come over here, close your eyes, and I will respect away. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    That is just me though.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

it will be 38 tslr's and I need someone to give me some idea on black rim idea's and the sizes!

14. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    All of you daily drivers out there who 4x4 I need some help. Im getting real confused with some posts saying what a good tire/size is for a DD and trail rig. I was thinking about 38's but maybe thats too high, and I was thinking TSL's, but everyone says they're loud and wear fast. So tell me what you got going for your truck!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I run 36" TSL's that are siped on my DD. bought them 2 years ago still at about 50%. Going 38's next set.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is my daily driver:

[​IMG]

I drive it about 120 miles per week right now. The TSL's are loud, and they wear fast...not cheap either. Mine are reasonably round for big bias ply TSL's, they are unbalanced and I get a little vibe/shake at about 50 mph, but it smooths out quickly above that. Under 50 it's all good, and the ride is actually decent.

FWIW, I'm hoping to swap in a NV4500 and run a smaller radial AT on the street soon. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

16. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    I am running 37's on my DD. I am not much to go by as I would run 40's if the D60 didn't set me back so far. My DD is more of a street legal trail rig. (read: offroad rig with benifits /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif)
    I am also only running 4.5" of lift. The average for most of us in AZ is 5" (it would be 4" but shawn's '75 has 9" of friggin lift and that is ruining the curve /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[​IMG]

she rode like a dream with the shackle flip, tsl's were not that loud, at least I always heard the big block not the tires. I have the tsl radials though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I drive it to the ground, I also love driving it so milage goes nuts, about 50 miles or more a day, she has seen 1 trip to the grandcanyon, 2 tuecon trips, 1 trip to yuma, a regreted califonia trip and one up north. Alot of miles I love the tsl but and swaying to 40 MT/R's or maby michelins if I can find a set for cheap.

I have alot of clearance and in my opinion decent flex, and I could go lower and have in the front already. "I am trying to rid of the I want a big truck syndrome"

I thing 6-8 inches would be great with a little trimming /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I drive my truck everyday, usually several hundred miles a week. I realized i made a big mistake when i bought my 38" TSL's and bolted them on when i swapped in my 1 ton axles.
    2,000 miles on my TSL's and i was like /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.. I immediatly went out and bought some cheapy 15" 8lug rims and mounted my old BFG mud terrains on them.
    My 38's are now in my shed and get bolted on when i go wheeling... My 35's are strictly for the street.
    I am really glad i didn't go lower than 4.56 gears with no overdrive.. I was originally planning on running no less than 37's so i was almost sad i didn't go to 4.88 or 5.13...
    But being my daily driver with 35's now its about as low as i'd want to gear it (3,000+ rpms on the freeway).. and the 35" BFG's wear awsome on the street.. I've gotten 25,000+ miles outta them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I can't say enough good things about BFG's.
    BTW, i didn't balance my 35's or 38's and they are pretty good.

I finally realized that you can't have the best of both worlds, a decent wearing street tire and an aggressive off road tire... The closest thing is the BFG muds or Goodyear MTRs... I figured i'm not going wheeling everyday so i don't need that aggressive of a tire every day just to look cool driving around.. Instead of trying to decide on the trade offs.. Get a set of street tires and a set of offroad tires.. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    This way you can get the most out of your investment... You can run your street tires till they're completely bald, and your offroad tires should last many many years. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

18. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Dont go over 35's for a DD. Just my opinion. Too tall beyond that, you can forget parking decks, etc.