Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Daily drivers with Detroit Lockers????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigMac, Jul 22, 2002.

1. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

How many of you guys run detroit lockers on the rear of your daily drivers?
    Im in the process of building a rear for my 72 K10.. and I'm leaning toward the Detroit... Are it's manners really that bad on the street?
    I spose if I saved up I could get the ARB, but I prefer simple. The ARB doesnt give me the warm fuzzys... Seems like to much could go wrong....

SO lets hear it.. What do you think of YOUR Detroit locker?

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I hardly know mine is there on the street unless you romp on the gas goin around a corner.Offroad you get both tires turning no matter what even with one tire off the ground.

Even if Detroits were as awful as some people make them out to be,I would still have one just for the offroad performance /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

SO as long as I treat it like a locker all is good....

SOLD.

Thanks, this truck and my mountain bike are my only transportation...its gota work double duty.

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I agree with frizzle. The locker is there and you know it (if your engine has enough power to make it recognizeable). You got used to driving a lifted truck, so you can used to the on-road characteristics of the Detroit. No big deal.

I would not recommend the ARBs anyway. I have too many friends that have jnked their ARBs due to problems (compressors, lines, etc). Only issue I have found with the detroit is that it makes towing an adventure. I have a 3,000lb travel trailer I tow behind my Jimmy. The short wheelbase of the Jimmy makes this a not-so-good idea to start with. But, the slight "jerking" of the locker combined with this makes it downright scary at highway speeds.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I run a Detroit on my daily driver / fun rig. I never notice it in the usual ways people describe like decelerating off the freeway or having it fight the truck when turning under power. That thump it gives off when transitioning into power reminds me that its there, and a bark from the tires every once in a while but off road, I definately know its there. I think larger tires make it seem less evident.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I do and its OK. As long as your aware that its there there should be no problem. If I take a corner under power it likes to chirp the tires some. Kinda fun.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am running one and it lets me know its there all the time but after a few days you get used to it and learn to drive acordingly /forums/images/icons/smile.gif pluse it sure is nice knowing it is there when offroading /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I do in my Suburban with 33s. Not a problem or complaint in the least.

Ken H.

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Only time I notice it is when I am cornering or changing lanes while on the throttle. Every now and then you can feel it lock during small turns (lane changes), otherwise you wouldn't even know it was there.

10. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the Detroit get a big thumbs up!

Not a single complaint! Theres something to be said about that.... People tend to complain pretty readily. Good reviews are harder to get.

Now to get that 14 ff... and not the eaton I screwed up and purchased....

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you have an Eaton wouldn't it already have 4.57's and a Detroit?

Rene

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well mines not a Daily but I drive it regular. You know it's there on onramps with tight turn or a higher speed sweeper you can change how much the vehicle is turning with the throttle. Forget about trying to pull a quick u-turn. You either light them up or go straight. Ocasionnaly you will get in a slight bind and lift off the gas and get back in it and it's gone. Pulling out of work I have a hill to climb. After the turn where you on the power to get up to the speed of traffic. Just got use to back peddling to get it unlocked for a second to even up the tires. I really didn't notice that till I went to poly body mounts. You can feel a slight vibration from that that was not noticable with the rubber mounts. Before that the truck just seemed low on power and it was actully the tires fighting themselves.
    Now I will admit that I'm more aware of it because my wifes daily driver is a 79 K5. I drive it pretty regular so I notice the difference a lot between a Stocker with 31's, 3.73's and a gov lock LS. If I didn't drive it I probably wouldn't notice it as much.
    A lot of the comments you hear about the manners are coming from Jeepers. The light weight make the manners much more pronouced. The weight of the K5 helps keep the Detroit a little more doscile.
    First time you drive it you will notice it big taime. After a couple day's it's not that big of deal.
    Now these are hatefull on ice. The ARB lets you choose when you are locked but once an ARB is locked it's every bit as hatefull on ice.

13. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I play in the snow a lot in the winter and I have learned to FEAR ice, good thing I have an open front, but if you use any throttle and need to turn at all, it can make for a puckering ride, especially in a slope. The detroit works great in all terains, except sheet ice. You just have to learn how to steer around it and onto anything with traction.

14. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

the eaton I purchased Saturday has 4.56's. I have no idea whet kind of differential cus I haven't had the cover off.

Im now trying to get a decent 14 bolt... the guy at the junk yard AAA Trucks is trying to get me to take a rear that wont even turn for 500 some dollars out the door.... I think my check is about to get turned off.

I think I'll rant about this in another thread....

why you need an eaton?

15. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

For your 72 you will want a 1 ton version of the 14Bolt to make it a bolt in (IIRC a 40" spacing on spring pads).

The Eaton is a good axle but not as easy to find parts for. You should be able to find a 14 bolt with Eaton already installed for $300-400 if you look in the For sale section on this site.

16. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

the axle they pulled out had the spring pads spaced at 40 in, but the shock hangers were opposing (one in front one in back). I figured I'd just cut the one in back off and re-weld it in the front..

17. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Sometimes on turns under float it goes clunka, clunka, clunka; just tap the gas and it stops. Take a sharp turn from a stop, like a left into a parking lot and every once in a long while the ratchet slips (some one called it a load pop, i think). Once a guy told me my rear was broke since he saw it shift so much when it popped, nice loud bang too. As for the handling, the longer the wheelbase the better. In the suburban the detroit was fairly tame, after I swapped the rear into the Jimmy, man the first time I drove it was like WTF. Like anything else you get use to it. Besides you can't beat it offroad. In a short Jeep it must be real hairy. PS I drive mine every day and every time you move the gas pedal you know its there. But you get used to it.

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

for starters, the detroit is the only way to fly.
    the only choices is weld it or detroit it.

I think auto vs manual driveability differs a fair bit with the manual engine braking making the cornering and other quirks more evident.

19. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Whats the word on Eaton's Elocker. For a daily driver, if the price is reasonable and its durable, it sounds pretty good. Just run the wire with the brake hose and there should be no problems snagging it. It would sure be nice to be able to hammer it without having to be ready to correct for the random unintended lane change.

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    and its durable

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt any electric piece will ever be in the same league as a detroit locker for 'bolt it in and forget about it for 20 years' durability