Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

daily drives impedes progress!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TwistedSkipper, Oct 8, 2006.

1. TwistedSkipper

TwistedSkipper Registered Member

thanks all for your ideas regarding the steering arm i have dubbed "stanley" he and i will undoubtetly meet again and this time i will prevail!!! I feel "armed" with the experience of this site and all members are in my corner. My next day off from work will be the showdown, come one come all, it's gonna be bloodbath.
    I have another question. While the drivers wheel was in the air on a jackstand, i grabbed the sides and wiggled it, i had a lot of movement from side to side. it moved the draglink and even thik it moved the pitman arm where it attaches to the old rusty steering box. do i need to go crossover now, or what? I had gnarly death wobble before i replaced my steering stabilizer, i now know that was a band aid fix,. bearings? ball joints? please assist and lead me into the valley of the wise.

2. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

sad to say, ball joints are in your future..

dont cheap out of these, get some good spicer ones, if you have alot of in/out play...you need em!

and since you will have the truck all the way apart, now would be a fine tome to go cross over or go through your brakes;)

3. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

get the MOOGS.....look in your "mom and pop" stores near you, they`re definitely worth it....picked mine up friday, now they are on there way to NH to go in the front end i have to put in my truck on Saturday:eek1:

4. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

side to side and up and down are 2 different things, if it wiggled side to side and the draglink and pitman arm moved, but not the steering wheel, your steering gear is worn out and needs replaced or you could try tightening the sector shaft... if you grabbed the top and bottom and it moved in and out at the top and bottom then your ball joints are worn, but from what you said, it seems like steering not ball joints..

5. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

x2

do it all while you have it apart