Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

daily driving in overdrive......good or bad?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by hoppy, Jan 7, 2003.

1. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

should i or should i not be driving in overdrive for daily driving........i have people telling me both stories. i have a 94 fullsize blazer.any advice.....opinions?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Is your vehicle stock /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If it's at stock height, then by all means...drive in o.d. These vehicles came from the factory setup to run in o.d. at all times...the tranny shouldn't shift there unless rpm/speed calls for it. If I were driving a stock vehicle, the only time I would put my selector in regular drive is if I were driving through the mountains or if towing a heavy load under 50-55mph.

If you are towing with your stock vehicle...the answer is "yes and no." You should stay in regular "drive" when under 50mph in order to keep the tranny from going into o.d. Then, once rpm/speed reaches a high enough number...say 2500rpm - 55-60mph, shift manually into o.d. If you feel the transmission surging or trying to pick a gear a lot, then go back to regular drive.

Now, if your truck is lifted with bigger tires...you've pretty much just got to look at your tach and listen to the tranny shift. Listen, again, for the tranny to surge. That's a tell-tale sign to shift to drive at that speed/rpm.

It's rather difficult for someone to pin-point exact rpm/speeds for your vehicle to be in drive or o.d. because of the various factory options (gearing) and the wear already on the tranny clutches, etc. But, for the most part, you can get some tips/follow the guidelines above.

3. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

thanks for the response. i should have been alittle more detailed. the truck is pretty much stock. the only things ive done are put 265 dunlops and k&n airfilter kit to replace stock. i live in a small town where the speed limit doesnt exceed 45 and most of the time its 35. when doing 45-50 im running just about 2000rpm in regular drive. the truck does not shift back and forth as much when i just use drive. ive noticed when i do use overdrive im always stepping on it to get it out of overdrive only to have kick back in. i was told that because it does this that it puts tramendous wear on the tranny. when towing i usually leave it in drive (like i said when in od it just doesnt have that ummph) does it hurt to shift back and forth into drive and overdrive? say leave it in drive when taking off and when say hitting 45 shift into overdrive and so on? i just put $1350 in to it i DO NOT want to blow my tranny because i was stupid.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ive noticed when i do use overdrive im always stepping on it to get it out of overdrive only to have kick back in. i was told that because it does this that it puts tramendous wear on the tranny

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, that kind of action does promote excessive wear.

does it hurt to shift back and forth into drive and overdrive

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's totally fine to do, you're not going to hurt anything...but if you're doing it a lot, it's not necessary. At the speeds and rpm's you're talking about, if I were you I'd just drive in "drive" while in town. Cruising around at 2000 rpm is ABSOLUTELY ok for your engine.

say leave it in drive when taking off and when say hitting 45 shift into overdrive and so on?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That sounds good...but even at that, I wouldn't shift to o.d. unless your tranny is going to stay in it (ie, a high enough speed/rpm or flat/downhill terrain).

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

It you have a 700R4 with the electronic overdrive you could unhook the wiring harness and not have the lockdown so you would prob not have to down shift to unlock the converter and have better acceleration in 4th gear. I did that when mine started going crazy and locking down early and i also put a new TPS on the truck and that helped out a lot. It actually started going down to 2nd gear till about 65 mph then shift to 3rd and so on while the petal is to the metal. But i dont do that often /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif anyway my transmission was built by a buddy of mine whos nick named the "Hammer" b/c his tranys Hit so hard when they shift very snapy and quick. My tranny has a B&amp;M shift kit and a corvette servo. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

6. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

thanks for all your help. i will use drive for around town driving. im not a mechanic so it never hurts to ask. this truck only has 86,000 and its a 94'. the truck did have a brand knew tranny put in buy the dealer before i picked it up. they gave me a 36,000 mile warranty on it that has since expired. thanks again guys. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif