Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dakota digital

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NEK5, Mar 2, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok. i am looking for a new cluster to replace the one that is in my blazer now. i found a dakota digital cluster for 600 and i am wondering if any one has this in their rig...i have a 1990 so if anyone has this installed in theirs let me know the pros/cons and maybe post up some pics..please:D

2. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you could probably do the Autometer for a bit less if you dont mind electrical work..

3. NEK5

i`m not real positive what i`m doin...anyone done it?

4. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Pretty sure you need all digital sending units. With a 90 i assume you would, trying calling Dakota digital. Its their product so they should be able to tell you everything you need.

I was eyeballing those in the ChevyDuty catalog, they're sweet but i need to win the lotto before i buy one.

5. NEK5

sry what i meant was what would i need to do the autometer...my fault...unless if someone has another idea...check out my other guage thread to see the problem i`m having

6. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

If you think that is expensive then do not look at the Covan Classic setup with autometer gauges. try 800.00+ for them

7. NEK5

i`d rather pay 600 for the digital cluster unless someone can convince me to either solve my problem or change guages

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I went with Dakota Digital for my '56. It's an excellent package and came with all of the sending units. It's all been in the truck for a little over 2 years without any problems.

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I heard nothing but glowing reports about DD when I bought one of their air temp gauges. Three months and three gauges later I got one that worked...it wasn't a pleasant experience and the gauge is inaccurate.

10. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

That doesn't sound good... Did they ever tell you what was wrong with the gauges?

My gauge cluster has all the normal gauges plus a few other features that you don't get with the normal gauges. I verified ALL of the readings and found them to be extremely accurate. I guess you could say I wasn't 100% confident about all of that information fitting into such a small space. I did replace the entire wiring harness at the same time, so that eliminated any potential bad wires.

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I have to admit customer service before the sale was excellent and was still good the first go round. The second and third however sucked. First one was totally inop., they "repaired" it. Put it in, went bright and dim at it's own free will. Now I don't mean to be insulting, but I know what I'm doing when it comes to electronics, and at this point the tech on the phone was condescending as all hell and accused me of hooking it up wrong and frying it. I told him they'd get the gauge and I wanted a new one or a total refund. After quite a bit of heckling and me explaining how ridiculous it was for someone to have this much trouble with a brand new gauge he agreed to send me another. Got a new gauge, it's 5-10 degrees off one way or the other, no matter the mounting location of the sender.

Honestly, I wouldn't do business there again.

12. NEK5

i think i might try to fix mine first

13. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

That stinks. Hope I never have problems with mine. I don't have an "Air Temp" gauge, but I don't know what I would use one for on my rigs.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I installed one of their six guage cluster sets in my 80 K20. I had a problem with the oil sending unit and sent it back 3 times. I swore up and down at them and later found out that it was my painless wiring harness that was terminated incorrectly in the junction box on the firewall that was causing readings to go blank. Throughout it all (even when I swore....literally....at them that it was their fault), they were professional and helped me considerably.

I really felt bad later when I found out it wasn't their fault :doah: . Six years later and it all functions and looks better than I could expect. I still have a spare oil sending unit that they sent me for free.

15. NEK5

good deal...but cant make up my mind

16. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

depends on what you like. here is a couple pics to help you deside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I spoke to a guy that had the Dakota Digital Gauges in his K-5. He said that they were hard to see in daylight, at night it was great. At least that was his experence with them. I think I will do the Autometer gauge someday.....