Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dakota Digital

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by istallion88k5, Jul 18, 2000.

1. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I have a 88 K5, and I want to get Dakota Digitals Gauge set, supposedly it just plugs in using all the factory harnesses and sending units, and $475 aint bad, since they look hella cool IMHO. Question is has anyone installed one of these factory replacement sets, and if so how hard was it and did everything really plug right in or were there some wierd issues that had to be dealt with?

2. istallion88k5

Another thing, is there a connection already on the distributor for a tachometer or do I need to figure out where to connect one too, I have seen other posts that stated there was a connection labeled tach but I have not looked at mine yet and was wondering?

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The gauge set is 595$ and you have to replace the sending units per their owners manual I downloaded. Also you have to do some wiring. There is a place on HEI ignitions for the tach if you are under the hood it is on the drivers side. I am going to be doing a custom gauge install, I am debating on Intellitronix or Autometer ( and waiting for a paycheck!!)I will have every thing documented with photos...
    Brent

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

There is a little rectangular area on the top of the distributor, one terminal is labeled "TACH". It takes a 1/4" female spade conector. It's earsier to see if ya pop off the cap and turn it over, but you can feel your way around.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I put in some dig gauges in 1990. They lasted about 3 to 4 years then the segments in the LEDs went out so the numbers look goofy now. These were made by CyberDyne and bought from Summitt. I found that they are difficult to see in the sun.

SteveB

6. Peter J

Peter J Registered Member

I've had digital tachs in both boats and cars. The swing of an analog needle is much easier to watch climb, and see at a glance. As someone else posted, the LCD bars can fail( had that happen).
    Unless it's soley for the looks of the Digital dash, you might consider spending the $ on something that enhances performance. A blower, maybe......

PJ

7. istallion88k5

LOL, blower heh. Actually I just figured that out about the 595 dollar one, damn 88 Blazer but the gauge set that matches says 73-87, wierd. I think I am going to still do it, I just really dig the way those gauges look. I was just wondering if anyone has done it out of this group and how hard it was to do, I am planning to start on a Friday and hopefully be done by Sunday night, hehe.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!