Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dam give the kids a Real life

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NoSmog73, Sep 15, 2004.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    TRENTON, N.J. - "Junk food" from candy bars to soda would be prohibited from all public elementary and middle schools in the state under legislation approved by an Assembly committee Monday.

Yahoo! Health
    Have questions about your health?
    Find answers here.

The bill would ban the sale of foods that are defined as having minimal nutritional value by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (news - web sites) from being sold until 30 minutes after the end of the school day.

Schools would only be allowed to have vending machines that sell whole grain foods, juice, water, milk and similar products available during the school day.

"Public schools need to be a place where both healthy minds and bodies are created," said Assemblyman Craig Stanley, D-Essex, a co-sponsor of the bill. "Sugary, fat-laden foods have no place in our schools."

Candy bars, chewing gum and anything else that is made up of 35 percent sugar or contains more than 8 grams of fat would be banned from school cafeterias. Items that are home-baked and sold for fund-raising purposes would be exempt.

Bill sponsors said the measure would help stop obesity in children. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (news - web sites) said the obesity rate for children and adolescents has more than doubled in the last 30 years.

The bill passed by the Assembly Education Committee now goes to the Assembly speaker for consideration for a floor vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the days of grabbing a candy bar and sneeking it into class..Dam people are taking life from kids more and more these days..LET THEM GROW UP AND BE A KID..

2. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "Public schools need to be a place where both healthy minds and bodies are created," said Assemblyman Craig Stanley, D-Essex, a co-sponsor of the bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since public schools are failing at creating healthy minds, I guess they decided to switch to healthy bodies... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Yet another case of a democrap deciding that the people aren't smart enough to choose for themselves, and attempting to legislate their choices for them... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

only the teachers in my high shool were aloud to buy soda during the day, the powerade and soda machines were only on to us durin the mornin and after school. im not sure why they did this, from what i here it was because they didnt want drinks in class or cuz of my grade who would poke holes in the tops of the bottles and squirt eachother with them /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You know I kind of want to agree with them, we are becoming a fat lazy culture (I'm fat and lazy) and something needs to change.

I want to see beef and brocolli in the vending machines. Raw meat and grill acess! Beer!

6. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You know I kind of want to agree with them, we are becoming a fat lazy culture (I'm fat and lazy) and something needs to change.

I want to see beef and brocolli in the vending machines. Raw meat and grill acess! Beer!

[/ QUOTE ]

We've got meat in our vending machines here at work...

One is labeled "Big Az Meatloaf w/ketchup" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

well, i do agree with what the school is doing, but they should have done it without the legislation. I dont know about yall, but living in Houston next to the galleria for a while made me realize one thing. People are getting huge(insanely obeise sp?). No joke, and the kids have parents who dont care what they eat as long as they arent hungry. I think I just feel like kids should be better educated at younger ages about eating healthy and getting proper excercise. I know because this is how my older brother is and it has caused a whole [censored] load of problems in his life as well as in our family. Good gesture and common sense sure, but not a law.

Remington

8. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Outlawing video games would make kids healthier than outlawing candy bars. I ate candy all the time when I was a kid. I now weigh 140 lbs at 6 foot tall. I also spent my day outside running with other kids, riding bikes, climbing on top of our house and school, and other activities. My friends kid sits in the house and watches tv and plays games, he is fairly chunky and doesn't eat much candy.

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

How about we just make parents accountable for their children? I'm sick and tired of all this bullroar about we're restricting this, that or another.

Oh and another thing. Ya wanna know what my Mom's favorite words were?

Go outside and play. Yes outside. Even when it was 115 in the shade.

How did we ever survive?

10. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY? WHAT A NOVEL CONCEPT!

11. justhorsinaround

Ain't it just???

12. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

remember

"go out side and play"

Whether it was 115 or 15, raining windy or snowing (as long as there wasnt lightning)

Remember saying im hungry and hearing

A (well youll just have to wait for dinner)
    or
    B (its not my fault you didnt eat enough what you were given)

Remember getting bad grades and parents punishing you not suing the schools

Remember.............

I give up

13. justhorsinaround

This is why other kids parents are probably goin to either look down on us or look aghast at us when we actually punish our kids. Hell I don't even coddle them when they do somethin stupid and go crashin to the ground. I just ask them if they're bleedin, if they're gonna die and if not to get over it and stop cryin. I'll be darned if not even a minute later they're laughin and runnin around again.

14. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just feel like kids should be better educated at younger ages about eating healthy and getting proper excercise.

[/ QUOTE ]Thats why I also included excercise, but your right mainly excercise

15. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

ding ding ding,your the winner of the answer is right. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif there are kids in my neighborhood that can't even do ONE push up.the kid next to me has a 5 hundred dollar mongoose and rides it around the block once then goes back in to play video games. i try to promote activity, i set up ramps and jump with them. i have it on video. i tell them (i'm not skeerd,why are you?) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't see anything wrong with a candybar every now and then, but I am way over 200lbs myself. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif As long as they provide healthy lunch, what's wrong with letting kids have a snickers every once in a while ??