Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dam u joints...xfer problem? help please please please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr.LaHoyaSunset, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Mr.LaHoyaSunset Registered Member

alright, so in the past 9 months I have replaced both of the rear u joints, and now the truck is making the same dam shaky noise and vibrations that run throughout the truck that imply that the u joints are going bad... again. I do not believe it to be normal for these to go bad so quickly, I do not drive it over 3000 miles a week, and I am quite concerned.
    my questions is this, do you think that the transfer case is the cause? I hear a distinct clicking coming from around there when i accelerate, and my friend, whom i bought the truck from, believes that the seals are bad, and causing the oil to become nonexistent, and therefore ruining my joints.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a bunch y'all /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

What transfer case do you have? Have you filled up the xfer case fluids again to see what happens? You would have to have a pretty MAJOR leak to drain the xfer case. I'd fill it up and see what happens.

Next... did you get greaseable or solid u-joints? If they are greaseable get them filled again w/grease and see where that takes you.

Finally... if the joints really are shot for some reason... go to AutoZone. They have lifetime warranty joints for a decent price. At least that will help you out until you get the real problem resolved. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck!

-Dan

3. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Thanks quite much, I will give it a shot... of oil...
    /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. ji240

ji240 Registered Member

Also, if you find your u joints are going too quick make sure they are being installed properly. After they are installed, check to see if there is free movement in them. Many times people get them in and then just install the shaft. The joints should flop around freely with no binding. After you install them knock them back a bit against the clips. This way you are not putting undue stress on the needles.

John

5. KRAZIE87K5

Heh! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Be sure to check back, and let us know what fixed the vibes you are experiencing!

-Dan

6. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

so i changed the oil in the transfer case, and greased the grease fittings, and it still shakes like hell and clicks. im just gonna take it to the shop and see what the hell is going on..... hopefully it wont be too expensive....
    Thanks for your advice y'all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    If your blazer is a 79 like your Bio says, you probably have a full-time t-case... right? If you do, the clicking could be the chain slipping in the case, which would not do anything to harm u-joints. Is your truck lifted? How much? Do you have a bad driveshaft angle? A little more information and somebody should be able to nail down why your joints are going south... I bet that a shop will try to nail you for some coin if you take it in... and thats no good.

8. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing, I was going through u-joints like mad.I changed the driveshaft and the trans mount. It got a little better.When I pulled my truck apart to rebuild it I found the motor mounts were totally worn out.

Check your motor mounts and tranny mount, these will cause vibrations if they are bad.

9. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Try dropping the tcase if you have not done so. I have a 4" lift and had nothing but problems with the driveline. I purchased a rear cv driveline and the problem was worse. Maybe the shaft was bad...

After spending 15 minutes lowering the tcase, my problem was instantly solved. At least it no longer vibrates and complains.

Good luck

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Finally... if the joints really are shot for some reason... go to AutoZone. They have lifetime warranty joints for a decent price.

[/ QUOTE ]

No more lifetime u joints. 3 months for greasables, 1 year for non-greaseables.

11. KRAZIE87K5

Yea... I just bought a new set for the burb, and found that to be the case too. Sux. Thats ok though, for $13ea. I got new solid joints that still have a 1 yr warranty on them! ;-)

-Dan

12. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

great news all, and you might just have to laugh at me.... that clicking noise was from the pumpkins.... i opened the fill bolt and stuck my finger in.... dry as a bone.... so i shot some gear oil in it, and shazam, noise gone, as well with the vibrations. all is now good, and i just drove it from columbus to wooster, and all is fine. Thanks a bunch for your advice, now all i need is a U joing grease gun fitting so i can shoot grease in the joints.....
    Thanks a bunch guys /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yea... I just bought a new set for the burb, and found that to be the case too. Sux. Thats ok though, for $13ea. I got new solid joints that still have a 1 yr warranty on them! ;-)

-Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I don't use Autozone driveshaft u joints though. I get mine from the guy who built my driveshaft. He has Neapco HD u joints and Spicer. I used the Neapco HD ones last time because I was broke. They look to be a nicer design than the regular Neapco that AZ carries.