Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damage assessment for the weekend.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, May 28, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Well, I held the 1st annual Memorial Day Weekend mud bog and car crush at my place last weekend. The Damage was as follows:
    '78 Chevy SB: Broken T-case
    Jeep CJ5: Fried clutch
    Early '80's Ford: Blown Motor
    Early '70's Ford: Front driveline and broken T-case shifter
    '77 Blazer: Main bearings starting to go
    '74 Blazer: Knocking motor
    '81 Crew Cab: Clutch and coupler sleeve
    My '85 Chevy: Fried tranny
    My '76 Truck Blazer: Fried clutch

The clutch disc in my friend's '81 Crew Cab was completely gone. All that was left was the metal blade. He spent all day Saturday replacing the clutch. Then he drove it for 15 minutes, and the brand new 4spd-to-205 coupler sleeve (3 days old) shattered again.

The clutch in my Truck/Blazer I had just checked out 2 days before when I installed the motor. Flywheel and pressure plate surfaces were clean, and the disc was like new. Now, shreds of the disc are coming out from around the bellhousing and the thing wont move. I didnt even abuse the clutch that much. What would make a good disc disintigrate like that?

Oh well, all in all it was fun. Now its time to start doing the repairs.

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

What,no pics /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Pictures!

4. mountainexplorer

Unfortunately, my digital cameras batteries were dead, and I didnt have time to get replacements. I only got to take 5 pictures of stuff before anything even happened. Im waiting right now to get pictures from friends and others that took them.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

and you guys wonder WHY I don't wheel. hhmmmm could it be the big $$ these guys are dumping into there trucks this week ???

Brandy

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

brandy what fun is it to dump money into a 4x4 then never use it for anything except for the street...that seems compleatly pointless

7. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

if you dont wheel it a blazer is pretty much useless, its not that fast it eats up gas and tires and lift arent cheap, dont fool yourself if you arent going to wheel it just go buy someting wiht nice street manners, like a civic

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

It's a lot of fun actually. I have in no way dumped nearly as much money as the people that wheel do...I guess its the same as my D/A its a truck built for towing BIG trailers, do I? no, was it pointless to buy it ? no..did I want it..yes...so we bought it....
    I have numerous other off-road things to ride if I chose to, quads, dirt bikes, sleds etc... why beat up my truck to do it? For people to think that by owning a Blazer and you HAVE to take it off road is just a lack of "real world"...just because you wouldn't do it, doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't. You have your opinion, I have mine..but the original post made my point for me. Why dump even more money into it just to go break something next weekend? Seems pretty pointless to me.
    but then again, it's your rig, you wheel, I don't.. simple as that.
    Brandy

9. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Very true Brandy, to each his own. some people would call me stupid after i dropped in the 502 ram jet, broke it in and then took it thru a big ol bog, ended up covered in mud. I did feel a little weak in the knees looking at the mud covered engine, but thats what i like to do, just like everyone else has there own thing they like to do here. Street, sand, rocks, mud, hills. Everyone to the beat of there own drum.

10. mountainexplorer

Most of the guys that were at my place last weekend who broke something had a designated off-road vehicle that was trailered in. I think that just like me, we all had another truck or vehicle that didn't see off-road abuse. I have under $2000 ($1300 w/out the winch & bumper) into my truck-blazer that I played with last weekend and fried the clutch. My Suburban or Crew Cab didnt get abused; its not worth beating them up. But, my truck-blazer is my "fun" vehicle, so it can take the beating without affecting my daily drivers.