Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damage Disclosure

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Z3PR, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Would you be afraid of a car with a damage disclosue and a privious salvage title ??? The 2000 Alero GLS I'm planning on buying in a few days has that. I probley will still buy it, but that explains the Razzi rear spoiler. Cheaper then the factory stock one. Anyways, as long as everything was repaired propperly, I don't think it'll be a issue. What do you think, would it kill the deal for you ??? I'm going too try too get them too come down on the price. Gotta love carfax. [​IMG] We really like this car, it's everything we want in a daily driver. Bodystyle we like, V6, 2dr, auto, and only 41,000 miles. Am I looking for trouble if we get this one ??

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Damage Dissclosure

I wouldn't buy a former slavage title car, sight unseen that is.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Depends on the cause of damage for the salvage title.

I've seen a lot of flood cars resold, wouldn't touch one of those.
    But depending on what casued the slavage to be issued, and if it was repaired properly I'd have no reservations myself.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No flood damage. I ran a Carfax on it. Damage by accident. I think the damage was in the rear of the car because it has a Razzi rear spoiler on it instead of the stock one. (Cheaper then replacing with a stock spoiler) I do plan on having it inspected by a shop befor we buy it.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Only thing I could reccomend is make sure it tracks straight, look at the tires, and check the strut mounts
    to see if they are modified.

7. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if i could not buy it real cheap i would say no. the problem is u might have a hard time selling it cause of the salvage title

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    if i could not buy it real cheap i would say no. the problem is u might have a hard time selling it cause of the salvage title

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, that's one of my concerns.

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Just like skratch said, I would never buy a salvage from a flood, but it wouldn't bother me to buy for any other reason. I wouldn't pay more then half the blue book for a salvage title either.

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Would you be afraid of a car with a damage disclosue and a privious salvage title ??? The 2000 Alero GLS I'm planning on buying in a few days has that. I probley will still buy it, but that explains the Razzi rear spoiler. Cheaper then the factory stock one. Anyways, as long as everything was repaired propperly, I don't think it'll be a issue. What do you think, would it kill the deal for you ??? I'm going too try too get them too come down on the price. Gotta love carfax. [​IMG] We really like this car, it's everything we want in a daily driver. Bodystyle we like, V6, 2dr, auto, and only 41,000 miles. Am I looking for trouble if we get this one ??

[/ QUOTE ]

What do they want for that Alero? About $3500?

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thier current asking price is $8995.95 , but I talked too the owner of the lot and asked about a damage disclosure, and he said it's never been in a accident. So I told him that Carfax says it has. He sounded really suprised, and said he'd get a Carfax report on it and we'd go from there after he see's the report. We'll see what they're willing to come down, and we're having the car inspected at a shop prior too buying it. I don't see it as a big deal if it passes the inspection, but I will try too come down atleast a couple grand on thier price.

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

If you can't get him down on price, but still want an Alero let me know. I can get one for you at his cost plus a couple $100 with any option year you want. Send me a pm if interested.

13. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

If it has a slavage title and the dealer told you it wasn't ever in an accident...I'd walk away from it.

I have zero trust for dealers, if he lied about the accident who knows what he is lying about.
    I've worked for dealers, my father in law is a dealer and you don't get a car on the lot that you don't know the accident history of unless you're a shady shop.

14. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

unless it is a steal pass!!! just think when you want to sell it? plus if it got hit hard enough to total it will you wear a set of tires out every 200 miles? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    unless it is a steal pass!!! just think when you want to sell it? plus if it got hit hard enough to total it will you wear a set of tires out every 200 miles? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Had it completely checked out at a shop, There is NO structure (Frame/unibody) damage what so ever. So we did buy it. The damage dissclosure stated damage more then $3,000.00 but less then $5,000.00 . Damage happened at 16,000 miles. With a new car, it doesn't take much too get from 3 to 5 grand worth of damage. This car has had the ignition lock changed, different key for doors then the one that starts the car. That leads me to belive the car was stolden at one time. We plan on keeping this car till around 150,000 to 200,000 miles. (Currently has 42,000 miles on it) When we are ready too trade it off, miles will be high enough that the damage disclosure won't make a difference.