Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

damaged 350 link to pics added

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Apr 29, 2003.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Just wondering. I just helped my brother in law take his 350 out of his 72. The engine threw a connecting rod through the oil pan and siezed up. what I want to know is, is the block worth anything as a rebuild project? (Machined and bored out of course) I haven't had the oil pan off yet. It's the original 72 4 bolt.(checked numbers) just wondering if it'd be worth it to strip and send to the shop or just scrap it.
    OK, here's two links to pics of the motor. I think with some duct tape I can reuse that oil pan. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5728&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5729&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5737&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

2. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Re: damaged 350

If it was mine i would still send it in and have it checked just to know if it was bad . But why did it throw the rod?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It won't cost anything to take it apart providing you do it yourself. (Just don't mix up the main caps and get them out of order. I like to use a punch and number them just to be sure befor I even bust the bolts loose.) Pull it apart and see what shape the block is in. If it's good, you can get a crank kit,( might aswell build a stroker ) crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, ...ect. and build a motor. It'd be worth saving to me becouse I build myown motors, and used to have a friend at a machinne shop that would swap work for me for something I could do for him. Worked out pretty good, I'd get machine shop work, and he'd get me too pull and install motors/trannys, or whatever he didn't have time to do himself.

4. georgiared84

Not sure yet. he's not the best about maintenance. He got water in the distr. and cleaned it out. Ran like crap every since and I figured he got the timing off. I don't know when the engine was rebuilt, but I do know that it was rebuilt once in it's life. It's still standard bore. He was going to throw it out so I figured I'd at least do a visual check on it and have it magnafluxed.

5. georgiared84

Actually 383 was exactly what I was planning. I just got a 305 back that I dropped off 3 weeks ago and I am supposed to be picking up a 400 block 2 bolt the week after next. (haven't decided what to do with it yet. Thinking about stock setup with it .) i did a favor for one of the guys at the shop so he's doing a couple of blocks for me. He told me if I do a stroker the only thing he'll charge me is the extra work on the bottom. I'm not planning on working on the 350 for a couple of months, just wondering if it was worth the shop space.Wasn't sure if there was anything I wasn't thinking of. I know when a rod get's slung you want it to go through the pan and not somewhere else. If I do the 383 the only thing I need is the caps and block anyway. Now I've got to figure out what to do with these when I'm done. One's got to go in my 83 shortbed. (probably the 305 so I can sell it. I got away with pretty much just a bore on it.). Either the 350 (If it's good) or the 400 is going to the guy who rebuilt my trans. He's supplying the kit and heads. He's putting it in his versionof a pickup lead sled.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pop off the oil pan and inspect the cylinder walls from the bottom side. When a 350 of mine broke a rod, it made one hole in the oil pan and another hole in the cylinder wall. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. georgiared84

Thanks, I'll check. It put a nice set of dents and holes all through the pan.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Let us know what you find. Stuff is still getting slung all around the engine after it throws a rod. There are still 7 cylinders working to spin the crank... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

We like pics of carnage, hint hint.

10. georgiared84

I'll put one up this weekend. I've got to go get the engine from his house.
    BTW, we got it pulled without incident (except for having to leave the torque conv. attached to the engine due to not being able to turn the crank. Got it on a pallet up on it's back. He's taking a few brackets he wanted off it and the thing tips over. He tries to catch it and gets a nice slice between two fingers on his left hand. 13 stitches. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif After all the chances that truck had to get us while we were taking loose frame brackets, etc... it waits until we are done! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. georgiared84

12. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

I know why the rod went, that engine has never had an oil change! Look at that sludge /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. georgiared84

Yeah, I found that out when I pulled the pan. I mean I expected to see the metal in the oil but the oil was like the crap you drip out of the bottom of a coffee pot after you have left it on all day. Oh well, He's the one paying for the new crate motor. Do you think he'll start listening to me about reg main...? Not a chance!

14. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

The red paint gives the illusion that it was shot by a shotgun and is bleeding.

15. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

he better listen /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12496962 502ci/502hp Deluxe Big Block Engine Kit $6,995 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    (Fully Assembled)

[​IMG]

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif* ooooo ahhhhhh...droool*

17. georgiared84

He's not getting that ambitious. Just a regular old gm crate 350.

18. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

its still gonna hurt

[​IMG]