Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damaged seal between SM-465 & NP-205 **PICS**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kennyw, Jan 17, 2003.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I just pulled my t-case out after figuring out that the seal in between tranny/tcase was bad and leaking. Tranny level would go down and tcase level would go up until spilling out the rear seal or vent tube. It would create an awful whining noise when driving above 35 mph on warm/hot days (above 70* F). It got worse the hotter it was outside. The underside of my K10 was always covered gear oil also.

Talking with the previous owner I found he had the same problem and resealed the whole tranny and tcase as well as replaced the seals less than 1-1/2 years ago. (I have had the truck for 8-9 months).

I guess he damaged the seal putting the t-case back in and that is what I found when I pulled it tonight...

My garage! Outdoor in 40 degree weather after the rain and wind died down:
    [​IMG]

Damaged seal:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Worn NP-205 input shaft:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kennyw

Acidently screwed up the new seal trying to install it. Got it cocked sideways a little and bent when I tried to pull it back out...

Oh well back to the parts store.

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you going to paint it purdy before you re-hang it...
    Mine leaks from the speedo cable, seeing the work your doing makes me feel lazy. think I'l get under it and replace the o-ring that goes into the end of the cable...

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

hate knicking that seal.
    theory on shaft wear is lack of lube. try a shot of grease on reassembly

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I bought a new PTO and hyd pump for my dump truck last year. In the instructions for installing the pump they said to pack the drive splines with grease once a year. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. kennyw

Not painting it until I get the tranny and t-case both out for complete rebuilds... Someday. I have had this truck down for about 2 weeks since I started pulling the driveshafts for this. Working outside in the rain just doesn't make things easy. Then on the gravel makes it worse. I have been procrastinating and waiting for a nice day to work on it but finally had one good 45 deg night with no rain so I put a heat lamp under the truck and went to work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. kennyw

This one looks like it was in good condition but not aligned properly the last time it was installed. The seal was dented and deformed from not so careful alignment while sliding the t-case forward.

8. kennyw

once a year?!? That is alot of work to do that every year... I would rather convert it to 31 spline and rebuild the tranny/tcase when it fails for good. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

That's what the hyd pump manufacter said. I would pack the splines with grease anytime I had them apart though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif