Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

damascus steel....?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Sep 17, 2006.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Anyone have a blade made outta this stuff???I got all of my knives sharp exept for this one I guess I'm gonna have to grind a better edge onto it first, a friend of mine made this knife for me and I tryed to sharpen it for 20 minutes with no results. This sh!t is tough...:eek1:

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I got a toolbox made from pur Damascus, it's red if that helps. :D

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes but is it magnetic?

On the flip side, I don't know jack about damascus steel but all the experts caution against putting hot loads down old damascus barrels. Don't really know what that's all about.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Take it to someone who knows what they are doing. It will stay very sharp if sharpened correctly. The grinder is not a good thing to use on a knife, especially not a good one.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah I didn't mean the bench grinder. And as far as barrels go,it's probably because their harder but more brittle, more carbon..

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Gotcha, like I said, I didn't know what made damascus steel different than mild steel or the alloys.

Nice sig ;)

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The way old Damascus barrels were made is the maker would take wire or flat stock and wind it around a mandrel. Then he'd heat it up and hammer weld it together.
    The problem in shooting hot loads thru an old barrel made like this stems from the corrosive primers used in those days. The corrosion appearently happens mostly at the welds. :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:
    You know when Bugs Bunny sticks his finger in Elmer's barrel?

Probably about like that.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Ahh that make sense...

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Damacus steel shotgun barrell memories..

One of the first guns I ever fired was a 10 gauge shotgun an old timer friend had..he brought me and a few of my friends up to a lot he was clearing in NH,that his daughter planned to build a house on..we spent a whole afternoon shooting it,and also a neat "Savage" .22 caliber rifle with a .410 shotgun with 2 barrels ,one on top of the other..

I got knocked on my butt when I fired the 10 gauge!..I pulled BOTH triggers!..being a stupid newbie to guns,I didn't realize BOTH barrels had 2 separate triggers on that gun!..learned THAT lesson real quick!:eek1: :doah:

While I was waiting my turn,I was reading the box of shells--Remington "Hi-Loads"..and it had in big red letters written on it "DANGER!!---NOT FOR USE IN GUNS WITH DAMASCUS STEEL BARRELS!...I asked the old timer "whats a damascus steel barrel" ??..he said "The gun you just fired has one!--they rolled it from sheet metal like a ciggarette!'..

I showed him the warning on the box,and he turned a bit pale,especially when he saw the picture of a shotgun on the box, that looked like ruptured steam pipe after an explosion!..--we only got to use the Savage "over and under" gun after that--the 10 gauge went back in storage,and probably never got fired again since....:crazy:

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Damascus steel is something that should be sharpened carefully.

A damscus blade has at least two different types of steel in it, and is used for different purposes. You can alternate high and low carbon steels to get a mix of extreme hardness and softer steel. Most often the two grades of steel aren't significantly different and the damascus is used to make the blade look pretty. A good damascus smith can produce some very beautiful blades.

If I ever owned a good knife with damascus steel, I would would take great care with sharpening it, if I even used the blade at all. If it's cheap damascus stock, no big deal... it'll just take a lot more work than a normal 'tool steel' knife.

Most of my knife blades have a high-carbon steel, which makes them difficult to sharpen... but they hold an edge forever. My benchmade balisong is made of D2 steel, and my EDC benchmande 942SBT is out of teflon-coated 154CM. Both are high-carbon, but the D2 is more prone to rust, so that blade stays oiled.