Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damm hi-beam indicator bulb!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Nov 28, 2006.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Got scolded by a cop last night--seems my hi beams were on,and I wasn't aware,thanks to that little blue bulb not working!..:mad: ..but he didn't even get out of his cruiser,just pulled up alongside of my truck,and said "SHUT YOUR BRIGHTS OFF!!..:blush:

It must be THE worst bulb to change in any 73-87 GM truck!...I contorted myself into a pretzel,bent my glasses,and finally got my hand on the F'n bulb holder and got it out without dropping it !--but the damm bulb was GOOD! when I tested it !..:mad: ..what a beotch to get at!..I refused to take the whole dash out for one bulb(and likely fubar something else in the process!)..

I put a new bulb in anyway,and even tried a new socket dewhickey--but it refuses to light up,so I guess the printed curcuit board must be f***** where the contacts go??...wasted a half hour dicking with it,cut my hand up under the dash (I think a previous owner taped razor blades behind the cluster,judging by the way my hand is slashed up!:doah: :mad: )...I'm at a loss as to what to do next...:(

Maybe I'll look at my wiring diagram,and see what wires run to that bulb--and splice another bulb in to those wires,and put it on the dash where there is a hole already--where you can REACH it to change the bulb!...GRRR!..I hate it when "engineers" design crap like this,and make things difficult to fix..:angry1:

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Only takes about 10 minutes to pull the whole cluster out -- Heck of a lot easier than what you are trying to do, lol

You probally need to spread the little socket contacts down a bit further, and use a pair of pliers to make sure the light is totally locked into it's holder.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

X2

It's more than likely losing it's ground...