Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dammet driveshaft! Thought i fixed you!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sinchphoto, Jan 2, 2002.

1. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

I had minor rear driveshaft vibration because of the big lift. I recently added 6degree shims. this caused the pinion to be closer to the tcase. after measuring i sent the driveshaft to be cut down by an inch and a half. it was cut, rebalanced and sent back. I installed it and it fit like a glove. PERFECT. but now the vibration got 3x worse. and its freekin loud. U joints are good too. will a cv joint help? Ive heard that a cv joint in the rear tends to create a whippin effect because of the angle. could this be true? whats my problem or solution?

2. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I'm in the progress of installing a cv rear dispite what you have been told the cv joint rear is on of the best things you can do they virtualy eliminate vbration if installed correctly.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

3. sinchphoto

i think I'll check it out. seems like a good investment.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

With as much lift as you have probably the only way to go is with a cv shaft.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. sinchphoto

yeah but check this out. before the shimming the angle was much worse and made less vibration.
    that I dont get.

6. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I can use the front flange yoke off of an np208 on the rear of my 205 but first I must get a new seal the splines are the same but Bearings.Inc. a company in my hometown can get me any seal I need. and will use the stock front cv joint with the limiting ears ground off and lengthend for use in the rear.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

7. sinchphoto

will a cv work well with a slip yoke? i have an np208 not ready for the 205

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You don't need to tell me anything on funky angles. I had a vibration that plagued me for weeks with the rear blocks. At first I thought it was my shaft being to short so I did the rear shackel flip and it pushed my driveshaft back in to almost factory location but still had the same vibration. I started messing with the t case drop and then shimms. Right now the case is dropped 2" and the pinion is almost straight with the driveshaft with no shimms and I only have a slight vibration. It is good for now and I am planning to swap my 400/205 combo in soon and will probably have to mess with it some more. I plan to do the doubler eventually and then I will get new cv shafts made for the front and back if I need to.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.

9. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I cant remember the company name bu yes there is one it is pretty spendy though
    I just found the site address DRIVELINESOLUTIONS.COM
    I think these are the same guys not sure?

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Project Mighty Mouse here.

11. sinchphoto

are you saying that by having blocks on your lift it can contribute to having a vibration?