Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dammit buying tools is an addiction!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Jan 29, 2005.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my matco tools account is up to like $2500!!!! i need/want so many tools but damn its expensive.... and i just put together a list of stuff i want and the list is $3100 and ive alreay got like $4000 in my box at work.... in a $2100 box!!! u dont think anythign of it when you just make a $60 a week payment but this is insane......

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thus while I'm not talking to the Snap On guy at school. That and their "deals for students" blow.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hmmm, our apprentice was getting like 50% off as a student.. thought that was a pretty good deal.. as someone with about 50 g's in, 50% off sounds real good about now... :whistle: :doah:

4. muddysub

dont you go to uti?

yeah i started back when we got 50% off everything, then they screwed us and changed it.... im still kinda anti snap-on because of it...

5. muddysub

matcotools.com has a 50% off program for students, you just cant make payments though..

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i dont even wanna hear it. i just spend almost $3500 on a brand new SnapOn box. it is an addiction, but it becomes a tax write off at the end of the year... :whistle:

7. ryoken

its funny when the new guys start.. you have to guide them thru the tool buying process.. stop them from buying the stupid sh*t they don't need, and getting the useful things...

i have WAY too many handtools. :rotfl: probably because i'm a mechanic and bodyguy.. my box is so full of stuff.

from every air tool and socket style to every c clamp and bushing driver. heck i must have 50 air hammer bits. :doah: :rotfl:

i almost flipped the damn fork truck over last time i tried to move it.. :haha:

they earn my livin tho so i can't complain..

8. ryoken

h*ll yea write that stuff off... its got me a couple huge refunds a few years back... i'm at about a grand with my guy right now.. thats the remainder on the box, about 9 g's all together i think... had to add that sidelocker :crazy: :wink1:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I work for the U.S. Postal service. They issue tools. :grin: I just used their money to buy a $1200 set of wrenches up to 2" the other day.

Gotta love working for the government. :grin: :grin:

10. ryoken

wow, that sounds sweet :saweet: i run Snap On thru 1 1/2", then Craftsmen up to 3". i've always wished over the years that i got a "tool allowance" from the companies i've worked for.. heard of it, never had it.. :( and you can be sure i needle the boss about it.. :haha: tho he does pick me up a new toy here and there..

i must say i do have a set of the craziest crowsfeet i've seen. they run from 2 1/2" up to 5", all aviation modded Snap On stuff... found em on the bay dirt cheap and they're absolutely killer in the boats for thruhull jamnuts and some shaftlogs.. for everyone else they'd be virtually useless...

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I work as a carpenter, and as a 4x4 enthusiest. My 4x4 box has about 5k in craftsman tools. Any my construction boxes have about 5 thousand in those as well. No matter how temping it may be for price I ALWAYS buy USA.:usaflag: forget about all of that foreign crap, and support our own toolmakers here.

12. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I like my stanley tools. They are great for tools on a budget :D

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I go to Wyotech. They told us 50% off before I came here but that is bull****. I picked up a student catalog. In the whole thing there are like 2 tools that are 50% off and they are still like $200 for something I'd pay $80 for from Craftsmen. Most of the deals are like 15% on something thats hugely overpriced to begin with(its Snapon what do you expect?) I think I'm just gonna take the money I have set aside for tools and go buy Craftsmen crap. I've met too many mechanics that regretted spending the boat loads they did on SnapOn. My first purchase will my tool money will hopefully be a bender :D maybe a TIG too.

The only things I really wanted to get from Snapon was a ratchet set, maybe a few air tools, and some precision measuring stuff for motor blueprinting. There don't have **** in the way of measuring tools in the student catalog so screw it.

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Tavia makes a lot of really good PME (Precision Measuring Equipment) for engine building. Goodson Shop Supplies (www.goodson.com)has decent prices on engine-building PME, too.

I'm unwilling to pay the premium price for Snap-On stuff, unless it's something I can't get anywhere else. Plus, the rep at work is supposed to come every Tuesday, but he actually shows up every second or third Tuesday. No rhyme or reason, and he always wants money to cover however many weeks it's been since he last showed up. Plus, he's an arrogant prick, so I don't do any business with him.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've heard of more than a few really crappy Snap-On guys. I've heard that when you break a Mac tool, you call the rep he will shop up next day, Snap-On guy just deals with it next time he comes around. That was one person's experience anyway. Haven't heard good things about Snap-On reps but then bad news travels a lot faster.

16. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

ive had bad expeirenses with the snap on guy, i broke a 3/8 ratchet and tried to get him to fix it for like 3 weeks and kept giving me crap about how it was broken, so i told him to f off im buying mac for now on,

needless to say i dont deal with snap on, the sales man guys are pricks and the truck never shows up when it suppose to and he never has anything on the truck.

the mac guy is the sh*t, when he come we shoot the sh*t for a while and ive never had a problem trying to return something.

now craftsman is a whole different story, i love the warrenty they have or use to. did they change it so you have to pay a certain % or something when you return something?
    plus you dont have to wait for a truck, you can just go down to the store and pick up whatever, and they are cheap :D

17. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

18. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

Im 19 and my Snap-on bill is up to around $6500. just got all my stuff this year though.

19. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Used to own a repair shop and before that worked as a mechanic.....I think you'll find as you gain more wrench time that Craftsman tools just dont cut it sometimes. Sure their hammers and snap ring pliers are fine but for wrenches, screw drivers and ratchets Snap On (and Matco, etc) is king. I sold my shop to my brother, he started out with a new Craftsman set so we had my Snap On set and his Craftsman at the shop at the same time for a short period. The very first time he used his 3/4" wrench he had to hold a nut open ended for the impact wrench. The wrench spread and the nut turned. I used my 15 yr old Snap On and it held just fine. They are great backup/rarely used tools (like large sized wrenches or the super duper long screwdriver you use twice a week) but IMO just dont hold up for a professional mechanic.

20. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The snap-on guy for our shop always lose's our stuff. We gave him air hammer 2 months later we asked were it was he couldn't even find had to give us a new one so now we call him the strap on guy cause he will f u on everything from price to reliablity. Then there is the cornwell guy or alson know as the cornhole guy he never has anything on his truck. We tried to tell him to stop comeing cause it's a concrete contracting company i work for and all he would ever bring is all little stuff. I barely use anything under a 3/4 wrench and my 1/2 impact.The owner of the company won't let any one else come he doesn't even like the guys that come now cause it takes away from our work time.