Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn 12 bolt is leaking/ locker advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Jun 11, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

My Diff. cover for my 12 bolt is leaking on the bottom. The bolts are constantly getting loose.. they're some kinda wacky 12 sided things.. look kinda like a torx bit gone mad. Anyways, I try to tighten them up with pliers, but it never seems to work for too long. I'm thinking the main problem is that it's a chrome cover, which wasn't stock (duh). In any case, my 12 came with it. What the heck can I do to stop this? I'm expecting a 14 bolt, but it's gonna be a while till I get to slap it under Porky (my truck... if you read the pork smelling brakes thing, you'd understand). So I gotta make the 12 last untill I can take it out and sell it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good rear, I just need to know how to stop this leaking. Oh, BTW- anyone know of any good lockers for a 14 bolt s/f? I love my Lock Right for my 12. I want something just like it, yet doesn't make the carrier weak, nor does tire chirping and wheel hop on full lock turns.

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I had 0 problems with my lock right in the rear and still have one in the front, I think Detroit makes one for the semi float. On the cover, go to the parts store or tools store and get a 12 pt socket, its either 1/2 inch or 9/16, cant remember which, mine has regular bolts in it. Take the cover off and straighten it with a hammer and use liberl abounts of blue r.t.v. on it. Might even grind off the bottom edge even with the housing. They have a habit of hanging down below the housing and getting snagged on rocks and trail debries.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Just adding one comment to Depdogs reply which he pretty much gave you your solution.

If your cover is bent at the bottom, make sure you hammer it back into shape.

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com