Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DAMN ALT wont stop slipping, what to do????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by VisionxOrb, Nov 7, 2003.

1. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

ok I figured out the problem with my bad voltage from my alt. the belt is slipping but making no noise. its glazing over though. i realized it from being under the hood and hitting the throttle and watching the voltage drop and smelling somthing, at first I thought it was the alt smelling but i disconected its plug to collapse the field and all of a sudding the thing started spinnging faster i mean alot fast ( no the engine ) as its own fan whine got about 6 times louder and higher pictch. I though "thats wired" and pluged it back in with the engine high an noticed the voltage was at 14.6 and then dropping as the alternator got quiter and i looked closer an could see that it was slowing down eventhough the engine is not so. the smell must be the belt and its tight, made it tighter but no go, what can i do?????????????

2. Sounds like the bearings are seizing in the alt. making it hard to spin. If you disconnect the belt on it and spin it by hand is it hard to spin? You'll probably need to replace the alt.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Replace the belt. Once it's glazed over you wont get a good grip. That's what I'm doing tomorrow night before I head off to badlands /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like the bearings are seizing in the alt. making it hard to spin. If you disconnect the belt on it and spin it by hand is it hard to spin? You'll probably need to replace the alt.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bearings are fine, actually the thing is only like a month and half old at that, im gonna replace the belt but I dont want it to happen again is the thing.

5. bigmike72

bigmike72 Registered Member

Should probably get a new belt. When you tension it up make sure that it has a 1/2 in deflection along it's longest run when pushed with your thumb (I usually just eyeball it but you can use a ruler). You may have had it too tight which could have fried the belt.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

actually could be your battery dying. You said your alt was new. When your battery needs charging your alt senses it and it acts like a brake with the magnetic stuff going on inside there and starts putting out voltage. If your battery is drawing more than your alt can put out then it will really draw and make your belt slip. My brother's truck just went through this very same thing.