Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

damn alt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stiches, Nov 28, 2005.

1. stiches

stiches Registered Member

Hey as before i got a belt problem....

history

changed out the alt got one from kragen
    new belt

Now when its cold out side it squeaks...its not tight or loose to me its right...i had my machainc check it out he said might be faulty alt but i want to see what u guys say first

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

There is this stuff that is belt dressing, a spray on lube for squeeky belts. Don't use too much tho. haha. You also might want to check the alignment of the alt with the rest of the pullies. A bent or misaligned bracket can cause this as well as wear and tear on bearings, belts etc...
    Hope this helps.

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Go for a good quality gates or similar belt. The cheapies are usually thinner and more prone to the "chevy mating call." My v-belt squeeled on and off all summer until I bought a better quality belt. Constant tightening didn't eliminate the squeel for very long with the cheap belt. BTW, I've got a serpentine belt system in the shed for a spring install...

I don't like belt dressing. It does help a little tiny bit, but can make a HUGE mess. AND, in my opinion, its nots fixing the problem...its another temporary fix.

4. 87350blaz

87350blaz Registered Member

Mine is queaking but only at a certain RPM and if i get i wet (like run thorugh a puddle) it goes away :confused:

5. stiches

stiches Registered Member

don't know about that...here is what i did to fix my problem....used belt dressing...checked the alighment...and use a prybar to make sure its good and tight...the only way i can see it squeaking is if the alt is faulty...might want to go have it check out...unless someone has a better soulation