Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

damn bearings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blzn1, Dec 11, 2002.

1. blzn1

blzn1 Registered Member

Anyone else going thru front inner and outer bearing frequently. (once a year)
    I was talking to a friend, he also said he went thru alot of bearings on his blazer. What gives?

Rick

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sounds like a damaged or improperly installed bearing race or out of round spindle. Once per year is not normal.

3. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

What you using it for? Could be a lot of things. Are the races in right? doing a lot of water or mud crossings, Torquing the spindle nuts right? I know, that's all obvious stuff, but otherwise I'm not sure. I replaced my originals at 130K miles and they were still good but I've usually cleaned and repacked them after sinking past the hubs in water or mud.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

How are the bearings damaged? Pitted? Overheated? Water in the grease will pit the surfaces of the bearings and races. Installing the bearings too tight can cause overheating. Also be sure that you are packing the grease into them correctly. The spaces between the rollers should be full of grease before installing the bearings.

BTW, front wheel bearings should easily last 150,000 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Probably over tight spindle nuts. the inner nut is supposed to have like 0 ft-lbs on it ( i make mine just hair past hand tight ). the tighten the snot out of the outer nut. works good for me so far.