Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn Clutch * UPDATE -Fixed *

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by walla2k5, May 28, 2005.

1. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

My gawd damn( mechanical ) clutch linkage is giving me fits!!!! New clutch,flywheel,pressure plate,pilot bearing,throw-out bearing,return springs,clutch fork and ball stud, now the pedal when pressed stays on the floor.Have 3in. body lift and extended the rod 3inches,adjusted the clutch just like you're supposed to and it just stays on the floor...It will come up if you side step the pedal ( sometimes ) Done the SEARCH for the last couple of hours,now my eyes hurt. What the @$#% have I done wrong???? Help!!!!:confused:

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

might be time to tear the pedal assy appart and look at it. may be time for a new pedal assy or to freshen it up. might be bending on the bolt or something.
    Grant

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

:::::::::::::::(

Sure its the linkage itself,and not the pressure plate?--or the throwout bearing dragging on the collar on the tranny it rides on?(tranny loose or misaligned,or the transfer case "foot" tightened too much and putting strain on tranny mainshaft can cause the throwout bearing to drag instead of slide easily--collar can rust fast too if truck sits a lot!)..

Pressure plate might have something jamming in it(piece of crud,bolt,socket- :blush: or a broken lever thats binding(does it chatter?)--or it might be the disc is in backwards--I did that once! :blush: --and it was so much fun to do twice I vowed I'd burn it before I ever put another clutch in it,after 2 defective pressure plates on my 72 K5 I had... :mad: .

That "Z" bar that goes to the frame bracket and ball stud on the block sometimes bends the flat stock bars on it that are just butt welded to the "pipe" part of it..I ripped my hair out on a guys 71 chevy K20 plow truck,we put a brand new clutch in it--it was perfect for a week,it plowed a few storms fine--then the pedal started sticking to the floor,and you had to "help" it up with your toes..clutch would not release all the way either when fully depressed..--we tried adjusting it,it was still in adjustment..we could not beleive it lasted only a week..after we checked the transfer case foot mount,and loosenned it some(mechanic used a 1/2" impact on the bolts--squashed the rubber mounts too much--that alone seemed to help a lot..

But as I watched him put the clutch in and out,I noticed the "Z" bar pipe was moving,but the flat stock peice that the linkage rod to the fork goes on was just flexing and bending!--and his cab was rising up and town too,due to rotted body mounts!---we zapped on a small peice of flat stock to "gusset" the flat bar thing,and it was perfect again..after 4 hours of freezing our butts off in the cold.. :mad: we darn near pulled the new clutch out !.. so keep looking,it might just be the rod from the pedal to the "Z" bar is rubbing on the cab due to the body lift or something simple like our problem was..(hopefully--good luck!) :crazy:

4. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Go hydro, not too hard to do the conversion and you don't have problems anymore. I used the kit from Novak and a Wilwood 3/4" master cyclinder. Also used stainless braided clutch hose from Stock Car Parts. The whole setup is about 200 bucks I think.

5. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Already rebuilt the pedal assembly with new bushings and sleeve. I'll check the Z- Bar next and go from there.Thanks for the advice guys...Wish me luck,first time installing 4sp. and would hate to pay a shop to do it...Rig hasn't been out of the garage yet so no "crud" or anything in it yet,and like I said everything is new. I'm getting soo close to finnishing ,this is driving me nuts.:confused:

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Did you put in a diaphragm clutch or a 3-finger? What style did you take out?

The configuration of the pedal spring should be matched to the style of pressure plate. Sounds like you are using a diaphragm clutch with the massive over-center pedal spring (intended for a 3-finger).

7. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I'm using a 12" diaphragm clutch ,center force 2 , the one I took out was an LUK diaphragm set up also. What do you think,do I need to remove that big ass spring off the pedal assembly? I disconnected the rod from the pedal and everything moves just fine,but the pedal still stays on the floor when pressed down.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Get rid of that monster over center spring, and get one similar to the spring used to hold the linkage against the fork. It is install horizontally, rather than vertically. Most trucks with 11'" clutch have the right spring (thinking 250 i6, and 305 here.)

The big spring is supposed to give you help holding the pedal down on a 3-finger. A diphragm already has a built-in over-center action, whereas the 3-finger is linear.

9. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

captaininsano, Websites? ANything you can tell would be great! All i know is i cant find GM hydro parts and i am sick of looking. Sorry dont mean to hi jack. thx

mike

10. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice,I'll tear into it this morning and see what I can come up with for a spring. When mounting the new spring horizontally,I want it to be helping the pedal up, as opposed to down like the original ,correct?? Sorry, about these questions , they are sounding dumber as I go along,I think I'm losing my mind....:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Hydro is sounding better and better all the time,but I suppose I'll have trouble with that too....:blush:

11. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

* Update *

Removed the HUGE "garage door" spring this morning,found a spring that would hook up to my pedal and viola,good to go....I want to thank you guys for you're help.:bow: :thumb:

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Exactly! :grin:

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

where did ya get the spring?
    I got that HUGE spring and my pedal only comes back up 3/4 of the way.. think it aided in the killing of my clutch that I need to replace now... :crazy:

14. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Went to the local hardware store and picked up a "gate" return spring,worked great...

15. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The spring bracket on the top end of that spring is probably bent. I had this happen. It is generally believed that that spring is a return spring. It is not. It is a pedal assist spring, most of it's travel is to aid in the pedal going down. If the top bracket is bent down (like mine was) then it gives too much assist and won't come back up as easily as it should. Only the very bottom end of it's travel does it trun into a return spring. But if the bracket at top becomes bent, then the bottem end return part doesn't work right and the spring is still trying to assist in down travel, not up. It's all in the angles and little cams attached to each end of it. I welded a support to my top bracket to keep it from becoming bent again.
    What you probably did was buy a lighter spring so pedal effort on the way down is probably harder, but it now returns normally.
    I noticed this when I hooked up the pedal, but before I attached the main rod connecting to the zbar, and when I touched the pedal it slammed to the floor, because of that spring.