Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn cracked blocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 6, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my 383 roller project is on hold indefinetally. Turns out my block is cracked. Damn machine shop failed to inform the speed shop of that a while ago so the shop and I just found out today.

So here is a poll for you guys.
    1)Should I sell my 383 crankshaft, and my roller cam setup. Then build a simple 350 with a torquey cam and simple stuff.

2)Take the 350, truck block single piece rear main motor, I have in my 89 suburban and use that to build the 383. I had intended to sell this motor since it runs just fine. Also its not a roller cam motor, it would have to be modified a little to work with the roller setup.

My rig is intended to be a simple trail crawler so a 350 would really do just fine. I'm leaning towards just building a 350 and getting a little money back out of the project buy selling my crankshaft.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Either yank the motor from your '89 or find another block to start with.

I would not build a 350 in this day and age. The crank and pistons to built a 383 are too inexpensive to NOT build a stroker.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I voted for the Torquey 350. If it is enough to get the job done then why have more? I have a junk worn out 350 that does ok for me.

4. bandit1

bandit1 Registered Member

i agree with tim. 383s are badass /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

The 350/305 engines from 87-91 have a problem with thin block castings in the lifter gallery so be carefull of your 89 motor. You do not have to get them hot for them to crack in that area because it has happened to me two times in a row. 1987-1991 do not have the post in the lifter gallery for a roller cam so you would have to retro roller it unless it came out of a caprice police car that had a roller cam.

bigred81

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'll have to look. If I couldnt do roller cam there isn't a chance I'd do the 383. The block I had was a Caprice Police car one and it cracked in the lifter valley.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I thought all car blocks '87+ WERE roller, it was the trucks that didn't get them until 1996?

In any case, do you actually think you can get what you paid out of your 383 stuff?

The way I look at it, if you have the parts, use them, you will NEVER get what you paid for the parts back from re-selling them.

Re-reading that post, perhaps the poster meant that '87-91 *truck* blocks don't have the boss, but I thought there were a few people on here that have taken theirs apart and seen the roller provisions?

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought all car blocks '87+ WERE roller, it was the trucks that didn't get them until 1996?

In any case, do you actually think you can get what you paid out of your 383 stuff?

The way I look at it, if you have the parts, use them, you will NEVER get what you paid for the parts back from re-selling them.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You're probably quite right!

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well, anyone want a 383 crankshaft for a 1 piece rear main seal motor? $175 + shipping, ha. Never been out of the box or touched by human hands since I got it 2 months ago.

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Your suburban block WILL be roller ready. ALL truck 350s i have seen built after 87 have had the stands and all but one were drilled and tapped. take the burb block, build what ya want and go have fun.

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Never been out of the box or touched by human hands since I got it 2 months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right....Show me someone that doesn't fondle their stroker crank when it arrives.... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

<--- knows what human skin oil does to steel /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Some of you may have odd stains on your stroker cranks from stroking your crank but not me.

13. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

build the stroker! you will have more torque. you could run a milder cam and still match the 350's torque just from extra cubic inches /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif