Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DAMN FRAME CRACKS!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok10, Oct 7, 2004.

1. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

I just took my box off to replace with new 2wd box for my crossover steering system from ORD and I found that the cracks were way worse that I thought. I have highlighted the cracks in red. The previous owner welded, poorly, some brace type things all over the front, bottom, the inside of the frame. Im thinking that ill have to cut these off, V-groove the cracks, weld them, them buy the weld in braces from ORD to go with the bolt on braces that I have already bought....What are ya'll thoughts.
    [​IMG]

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Im not that good, but id say go ahead and and fix it once and for all,with the bolt on/weld on kit.looks like a nice truck, i took one look at that and new you were either in ca or airizona /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

what gave it away where i was?

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Loc;Tuscon Az /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

SMART A$$!!!!!! hah. here i go readin all deep into it, thinkin that theres something hidden in my picture disclosing my location, and you gat to get all /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif on me!

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

You could always look at it like you get to add and buy a new part for your truck!!! Woo hoo!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I decided to just leavy my blazer stock in the end........ just a nice stock blazer. BTW mavey you could find some stuff in the for sale forum, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif good luck,Jake*

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

There is something in your picture that gives away your location. Or more exactly there is something missing from your picture that gives it away. Look a this pic and tell me what you see that isn't in yours /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[​IMG]

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the genius engineers designed the frame to crack
    it helps with the 'flexing'/'articulation'

I wouldnt bother grinding a V
    I would just start chasing the cracks with the welder
    you will not know the extent of the cracking until the heat hits the frame

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

you will also need to drill a very small hole at the end of each crack to prevent them from going any further /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the genius engineers designed the frame to crack
    it helps with the 'flexing'/'articulation'

I wouldnt bother grinding a V
    I would just start chasing the cracks with the welder
    you will not know the extent of the cracking until the heat hits the frame

[/ QUOTE ]BWAAHAHahahha /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That looks a lot like the weld in kit...except the person who welded it on didn't read the instructions and welded it solid. It also looks like they adjusted the outer shape some... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I ground a small 'V' and welded the cracks up in my frame. Without grinding the 'V' you'll lose track of the crack when trying to weld it.

The weld on kit definitely needs some adjusting to make it fit nicely to the frame. I ran 4 bolts through, then clamped it in another two places. If you still have a slight gap you can hammer each tack weld when it's a dull red. Usually one hit is all you get, hit it twice and the tack breaks. I followed the stitch pattern laid out in the instructions to the letter. There is a method to the madness that helps prevent adding stress to that area of the frame.

Rene