Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn Fuel Gauge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RustBuket, Aug 29, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ok, so today, I filled my truck up for the first time (DAMN $75) and was on my way home when the gauge suddenly went to overfull and hasn't moved from there since. Right after I filled it, it was on Full but then it went to over full. Where should I start looking for the problem? Gauge? Sender? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

good ?? i wanna know to
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's common for GM gauges to show "more than full" when the tank is filled up. But if your gauge needle is pointing somewhere over around 3 o'clock, then the gauge circuit is open somewhere. Start with checking the connections back by the tank. There are 2 wires coming off the sending unit. One is the feed to the gauge, the other gets grounded to the frame. Make sure that both connections are clean and tight. If all looks well there, then it's probably time to go inside the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif A bad connection, either at the harness plug to the dash, or where the gauge connects to the printed circuit on the back of the dash can cause this.

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

So, if the key is in the on posistion will there be power running to the sending unit? If there is, I will use a test light.