Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

damn i hate Cali smog laws

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, Mar 14, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

340-350hp tbi 355..... no pcv, no smog pump, bigger injectors, higher pump pressure, non cali intake manifold, and camel humps... think it'll pass? LOL

I can rig up my pcv to work if i take the breather off but thats it. the smog/AIR system is out of the question since i put headers on and the heads are gonna stay put for another year or so.

My question is what can i do to pass this by cheating? I did a search and got nothin. I'm not worried about it running clean all year i just need to pass it once a year.

Any ideas?

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

You're screwed

There is only one way you're gonna pass. Find a crooked smog guy and pay the big bucks. Regardless of how clean your rig runs and even if by some stroke of luck you could passed the emmission part (which you won't), you aren't anywhere close to passing the visual inspection. What year is your rig ... if you say 86 those things can barley pass when bone stock!

Send me a PM if you have no luck. I've got a few other ideas for you.

Good Luck, I've been down this same road many times before ... it's no fun.

Eric M.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

forgot to say its an 88... i know the laws are pretty easy to pass once its hooked up to the machine but what i don't understand is how there are so many rigs on the street with no AIR.... a lot of trucks run headers in this town alone and I highly doubt they are all the 350$ pair with air from edelbrock.

do smog shops not care about that stuff for visual inspection? Just as long as it passes? I know its illegal but how the hell are there so many rigs with headers on the street?

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

when i went to smog my truck, and it too is missing items, the engine even came with a big sticker on the valve cover that said "not legal in California on pollution controlled vechicles" the smog tech ponited out the few items i was missing, but smogged it anyways..on my '82 200 hydrocarbons was max allowed and i pumped out 198..so it passed barely..and i know this topic has been posted before recently, because i have given this tip before...get a small propane bottle, like from a camping stove or lantren. run a hidden line from your engine to the cab, and as the machine is "sniffing" your exhaust slowly open the propane bottle. your engine will read nice a clean..:D

5. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They wouldn't let me near the vehicle while it was checked in Santa Clara County.???

Ahh, good to be back in Michigan and away from the Cali Smog Laws.:cool1: :cool1:

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Fixed it for ya. Can't wait to get out of here! :grin:

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

yup the smog technician was the one in the cab... i was forced to watch.

could i somehow mix propane with the gas?

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

thats odd that you couldn't be in your truck. everytime i have gotten a smog test, i never left the drivers seat. the tech would just work the throttle off of the carb..as for mixing propane and gas together..i'm not sure i would do that. adding the propane is done in a simliar manner as nitrous..its best if you have the stock air cleaner and pipe it in underneeth were it woun't be seen easliy..

9. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

sorry ck5 bro... your screwed....

there isnt anybody in this town I could recommend to be "lenient"

you wont pass the visual... I doubt it will pass even if you got it on a machine...

one way to consider going is finding all the appropriate aftermarket parts with the corresponding CARB numbers and try to make your own carb stickers... (this is technically a felony crime and I am not recommending this... this is for conversation purposes only )but that wont work for stuff the is grossly outside visual.... like no egr etc....

if you require a smog pump and dont have one your toast.... no if ands or buts...
    you could try reg'ing it out of state in a non smog state.... but chippie here runs plates that are seen over and over and compares them to driver licenses... and thats if you DONT get stopped....

If you try to smog it you will get a gross polluter sticker and a referree referral... and you dont want that because they are harder tests to pass and they go over everything with a fine tooth comb (the referree station used to be at shasta college and they were jerks to me when i brought in a bone stock v3500 govt auction truck... the timing was off by 2 degrees and they wouldnt let me adjust it....even though it would pass.... they made me RESCHEDULE another appointment and pay them AGAIN... bastards)

You could pay a smog shop (not where you are going to have it tested) to do a visual "Pre Test"... like 25.00... theyll tell you what it needs and if it is polluting over the limit and by how much but the test isnt entered into the computer... if you do an actual test once again youll fail... pay the money anyway... and be referred to a referee once again... as a gross polluter...

I have a new hi-po Franlin 350.... fully smog legal.... complete 1600.00... opps I see you have an 88.. its good up to an 87

I have never been allowed anywhere near the truck during a test so the posters that say they are in it,,, are an anomoly

Frankin has new exhaust manifolds for about 90.00... stanleys welding is the absolute best exhaust guy in town
    cam

10. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yeah redding is a bigger city when i live, up here in Grass valley, a small town. the techs are real nice and pretty cool, and they have never said anything about me sitting in the truck..

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

pre 75 VIN... that's not legal either though...:whistle:

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I knew i was gonna have this problem when i got this motor tbi setup (manifold) but i figured i could side step smog by hooking up my old manifolds to it and running a smog pump again... then swapping out the breather and using my old pcv valve. Think it'll pass like that? I know i said the AIR system was out of the question because i thought it got scrapped but my uncle said hes got my manifolds and the air system tubes are in my garage.... the smog pump is on the motor. Just blows it around in the engine compartment.

I got 3 options....

1) pull headers off, put old air system on and pcv on and try to pass.

2) go temp registration for a year until i got the money to get better smog heads(probably ARF's).

3) I might be able to register it in oregon because my dad is up there. What are the requirements for registering in a state? I think you have to live there for 2 weeks or something but i don't know.

what do yall think?

14. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

OREGON REG

1) declare residency... must have an address and be able to prove residency there ... utility bill, rent reciepts etc... over 30 days
    2) be in a non smog county (not lane)
    like jackson or one of the rural ones
    3) get and oregon license
    4) Insure the vehicle in Oregon
    If you dont get an oregon license and get stopped by chippie here you will be burned and cited,,, trust me on this they are all my buds and I used to cite for this all the time... and in redding they are real hot on it... even with all the oregon stuff redding chippie will still mess with you... they do a history on you showing cali stuff and then nail you... they have one officer assigned specifically for this.... and he knows all the angles

Put your motor back to stock... borrow one and swap for the test then reswap... what a pita and alot of work

there isnt any easy way... believe me I have tried all the angles....( and I know the angles) pretty soon the smogs will be videotaped... but at least we dont have the 4 wheel 350 dollar dynometer smogs here yet
    and a shop doing an illegal smog gets burned every week in california.... and the DA's and DMV investigators press for the 50k fine and revokation each time... I get the dmv bulletins
    If you do anything hinky, either you or the shop, its pretty much a wobbler...misd /felony
    Last option....
    sell the truck out of state

There used to be a beautiful k5 around here... show beautiful... BB/ Headers all the good stuff... oregon reg...
    one day it was at the impound... I talked to my chippie buddy and they were trying for a destruction because the owner did just what you want to do....

even with the red sticker that doesnt give you a legally registered vehicle... just a deposit of fees... if you get stopped and smog checked by a chippie you will still be cited... lower probability but still possible
    I know... I used to do it
    I carry a badge... call me mr smog PR_CK

15. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

theres no way in hell im gonna swap for smog.... i just got this one in.

Oreg registration becomes a problem if i have to have an address because my dad is in a veterans hospital and when hes out of there he plans to buy a motorhome.

Look at my profile for specs on the motor.... if i put the pcv back in and use the AIR will it pass?

16. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

What if you only had to do one swap and then swap it back and never had to smog it again? Swap in a 6.2, take it to a referee, get it retaged or vinned (not sure what they call it) as a diesel truck and your now smog exempt for life. Swap back in your 350 and your good to go.

17. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

The ONLY peice of emissions I have on my truck is cats, I have headers and all that jazz and no AIR (which my truck had) I had an EGR on it for emissions, but it wasn't setup to work. I passed with flying colors on a leaned out Q-Jet, it actually passed better than our 4.0L Fuel Injected jeeps.

This is on a carbureted 350 engine with aftermarket everything but cylinder heads.

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Aren't you able to use a newer engine than your vehicle ? What about a TBI motor with all the TBI stuff from say a 89 Sub .

My buddy's truck is stock with NO SMOG pump , its an 89 . Just has PCV ( which doesn't hurt only helps motors ) , EGR , EVAP CAN ( which doesn't hurt either , only helps ) and a CAT :k5: :k5:

19. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure the truck has to have exactly what the factory put on it for that year and engine. Atleast thats how it is where I live in NC, and were pretty lenient here compared to Cali.

20. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well I was thinking since he has TBI , he can make it factory TBI :dunno:

Personally , I feel if my little smog 305 can pull my truck uphill on 33's with all the smog in place , a built 350 with some smog stuff on it WILL BE FINE :D