Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DAMN MUTHA F%$C& BLEEPEDY BLEEP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tayven, Jul 19, 2004.

1. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

DAMN MY FULE PUMP!! So yeah, I put in wrong and put the rocker arm from the fuel pump over that push rod. Last night I took the whole plate off and pulled the rod out, it has lot's of little scrathese and marks and I am wondering if it is ruined. It is also shaped like and L. It is not straight. Is it suppose to be striaght? Someone kick me in my ass and point me in the right direction

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think you are fine. I've done that before by mistake and it just pushed the lever thing down. Its comes bent like an "L". I use a long small flat head screwdriver to help hold the rod up. Just give it another shot. Its happened to all of use. Or it will.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

go to the nearest auto parts store and get a new fuel pump rod. prob solved.

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Matt, I think he meant that the fule pump rod is bent /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. Sandman

The Rod! That is a pretty hefty thing to bend. I took it as the fuel pump itself he was talking about.

I guess we'll see.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I've never actually seen one get bent. Is it even possible to get the pump on if the rod isnt up??

7. Sandman

I've done it before. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

It just pushes the pump side all the way in. I did before I know what I was doing and I used the bolts to seat it all in. Very Impressive work. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

Yes, the rocker arm on the fuel pump itself has a peice cracked off of it so I do need a new one of those. BUT, The rod that goes into the block, is that suppose to be bent? How far up should it go, becuase I cannot, Cannot get it to go up far enough to get the the fuel pump rocker infront of it. I dunno man, this sucks, my 36's and new wheels are at the shop waiting to be put on and I can't drive my Flipping rig down there

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Two choices.

1) get another fuel pump push rod, glob some grease on it so it'll stay up in it's bore until you get the fuel pump in place.

2) Get an electric fuel pump and a block off plate for the motor.

It sounds like you messed up the fuel pump too, so if I were you I'd prolly go down to the parts place and snag an electric and a block off plate.

Rene

10. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

DAMN!! ELECTRIC? what is that? Well I did bend the rod and I messed up the pum. so I got a new Pump and ROd for 25.00 Should I get an electric one instead? are they that much better?

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What does the block end of the rod look like? If you truly bent that rod, I'd be a bit worried that you wiped out (or damaged) the eccentric on the cam that drives it.

There is a bolt hole on the front of the block designed to hold the pump pushrod in place, if I were having as much trouble as you are, I would use that.

The ones I've done I've had no problem sliding in as far as possible with my fingers, and getting the fuel pump lever under it, then bolting it up, using the bolts from pump to block to compress the lever.

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Did you guys realise there is a boss tapped through the block that has a short bolt to keep oil from spilling. This boss is there to keep the rod in place while installing a new pump. You will need a longer version of the bolt that is in this boss. I think one of your fuel pump bolts will work. Push the rod up, run the bolt in and then slide the pump lever into place. Remove the bolt and bolt your pump into place. Now install the shorter bolt back in the boss and you're done.

Also, you might use discretion in the way you post your headings around here. We wouldn't want everyone to think you were hot headed or something. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Hes not hot headed just A.D.D /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

14. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Would it be easier to install the pump if you were to unhook the distributor wire (so the engine won't start) and have someone "bump" the engine until the rod goes to the highest part in the block? It seems like the pump would be easier to get in then. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

If you look at the front of the block by were the fuel pump shaft is, you will notice either a) a bolt hole with nothing but a plug in it or b) a bolt that isn't holding a damn thing on/in. That bolt/bolt hole is there so you can tighten a bolt down on the fuel pump shaft to keep it in place when you push it up to install the fuel pump. Hope this helps some of you.

PS: if there is a bolt in there already it may be to short for its intended purpose and you will need to find a longer one to use. The factory usually replaced the longer bolt with a shorter one jsut to fill the hole.

Edit: I guess I should have read the whole post before adding my 2 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif