Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

damn pesky Steering stabilizer!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

In thinking that I could remove the steering stabilizer in 5 minutes flat... of course Mr. Murphy decides to wack me in the head. the stud on the steering rod is STUCK!

So, wise ass as I am, I decide to beat on it with a hammer, thinking it would come out. - Of course, in the process , forget that I was just dammaging all the threads cause I didnt put the nut back on before hammering.

Realizing that I was just in a rock and a hard place, I decide to cut it off. Got the outer half done, decide that I'd just drill it through. 30 minutes later and 3 dull bits , realize that I made no real headway.

remove old stabilizer, put new one on. Bolt on the sides that still have heads, and let the rusty siezed part be.

If I couldnt wack it out, beat it out, cut it out, drill it out, I think Im pretty safe to say, it aint just gonna fall out one day.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Is this a new form of Locktite? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i had a hard time when i replaced mine..and did the same thing..but with a torch and a big hammer she poppped out ok..