Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn rear shock mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oldassjeep, Jul 1, 2005.

1. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

Anyone have a good fix for the sucka$$ excuse for the upper rear shock mounts on 2nd generation K5's. I have replaced both the shock bolts and now they have come loose again. The driver's side has cracked the mount!
    I thought about making a crossmember and then relocating the mounts on the axle inward.
    I would like to hear if anyone else has had this issue. If so what did you do to fix it. I tried seaching but couln't come up with anyspecific info on this problem.

Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty much everyone at some point has this issue.

My theory on the problem with them loosening up/tearing the mount off the frame/tearing the mount itself is that the stud starts to loosen just a bit, which allows the shock to hammer the mount every time the suspension moves.

I got a new shock stud, and had it welded to the mount. I just didn't use those crush nuts that bugger up the threads.

GM knew this was a problem, later on the studs are press-in serrated, like a wheel stud.

3. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

4. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

I welded a piece of 1/8" steel to the shock stud and then welded the 1/8" steel plate to the shock mount on the frame to help re-inforce the frame mount and put on the nut on the back side.

Dave

5. 83-6.5TD-BURB

83-6.5TD-BURB Newbie

i need to fix mine now, had to get new tips for the welder though. i am thinking about making a cross member setup though. seems like a good setup