Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn rear window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kiblsnbits, Apr 26, 2000.

1. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

Ok, theres no real question, just gonna put down some thoughts. My rear window hasnt worked in 3 months, and today I got tires of loading me and 3 friends sports equipment in through the front, so when I got homw I decided to give a go at figuring this out. I pulled the plug on the motor and tested it for power. There was no power at the plug, so I figured it must be the cuttout switch. Not wanting to wait for a new one, and not willing to take the old one out etc., I decided that I dont need a cuttout switch, thinking that I would be smart enough not to open the window with the tailgate open. So just to test it, I pulled the plug off of the cutout switch, and stuck a wire connecting the two ends of the plug, and then wrapping it with electrical tape. I turn the key and... nothing. I went back and checked the connection and tried it again... nothing. So I turned the engine on, just to see if that would make a difference, and when I hit the switch for the window, I know that it was drawing power from the battery because the engine slowed, but the window didnt move. So I figured, maybe the connection still wasnt good, so I figured I would just cout off the plug and splice the two wired together to make sure I had a good connection, So I cut off the plug, but I cant find the d@%n wire strippers. Note I am doing all of this from a closed tailgate lying on my back, and I can just barely reasch the wires, and tried futily to strip the wires with scisors, that didnt work... darn it. Its always the little things like a lost pair of wire strippers to ruin your day. I hate electrical stuff... Sorry I went so long, wish me luck tommorow. By God that window will work again!

Blazer: A hole in the air, surrounded by metal, into which one pours money

2. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Are you sure the motor works? Try this....unplug the motor harness, find several feet of wire, attach wire to battery, and then touch the other end to either terminal on the motor. One is for up, the other down. This would help eliminate the motor as the problem.

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Hey man I live just south of Toledo...might could meet you say half way or so.I am good at electrical problems. I have completely gone through my back window and it works great.I would be willing to help if you need it. Just ask...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

4. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

check the connections in between the bumber and the bed, that was one of my problems, it was just dirty. you can role the window down manually by clamping on the flex tube and turning it, dont get frusturated it takes alot of turns, then you can open the gate.

5. Kiblsnbits

Thanks for the help everyone, but I think I can handle it when I get the time, I was mainly just mad because I couldnt find the wire strippers, but thanks anyway!

6. Kiblsnbits

Ok, so it turns out it was the motor after all, it doesnt work, but also the motor isnt getting any power, so rather than spend 200 bucks for a new motor, which isnt even in the new LMC catalog I got today, and then have to deal with the power to the motor, since Im thinking about getting a hardtop, Id rather spend a little more money, and just roll the window down once and leave it there till winter. Does this sound like a good idea? I was going to get a soft top anyway. Also, has anybody moved a hardtop through a house? Will it fit through standard doors? Because my parents wond let me get the soft top untill I find a place to put the hard top, and I was thinking about the basement, but they said it wouldnt fit through the doors and down the steps. Has anybody tried this? Thanks!