Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn rims wont fit!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka454, Mar 26, 2002.

1. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

This is for the guys that went from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton or 1 ton I replaced my axles finally this weekend and got some 15" rock crawlers with 35" x-terrains but the rims dont fit the guy from 4wp says that I only need to grind a little from the calipers, well I did and not a little alot, and they fit anyway the problem is in the back, the drums seem to be way bigger than the rims, I went back to 4wp and told them about the problem and they sold me some spacers they said that would fix the problem, well guess what those guys are so stupid they still dont fit or am I the stupid one??? do I have to grind anything off the drums to make them fit cause if I do it's gonna be a hell of alot of grinding what do you guys think.

2. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

You don't need to grind the 14B for 15's. I'm running 15x10's with 4.25" backspacing and they fit fine. The front does need grinding.

Oh one other thing, DON'T EVER LISTEN TO WHAT THOSE FOOLS AT 4WPW TELL YOU. Do the research here before you set foot in that store.

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

My 15's fit just fine over my drums. What kind of backspacing did you get? and is it the drum or the center hubs that don't fit? I had a set of stock 16.5 inch rims that the center hole was a little bit smaller than the hub so the fit was really snug.

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

interesting.....i have never heard of 15" rims hitting the drums on a 14ff. they fit fine on mine, and i even have the 13" drums!!?? did they put wheel weights on the inside of the rim that could be hitting it??? make sure the hole in the middle of the wheel for the hub is big enough, i have never heard of it not, but if it was, maybe a little die-grinding. just some ideas.

good luck.....rob

let us know WTF was up when you get it figured out.

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Man that is a pain in butt. My 15" wheels fit fine, they are 8" wide, I think my backspacing is about 3-1/2". My wheels are the ones like the American Racing (white wagon wheel).

6. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Shee that is a pain in the arse last night I spent 2 hours grinding untill my little grinding was coughing up it's lungs and I only did one half of the drum, I dont know but I think this drums are not the originals for this axle, that's why my rims dont fit, I'm gonna have to hit the junk yards and find some good ones if I cant grind this enough to make them fit, anyway thanks for the info guys.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Something sounds fishy. I have never seen or heard of anybody having trouble fitting 15" rims on the rear axle if they have anything close to a normal backspacing. I have 15x10 rims w/ 4.25" backspacing and the big drums (1-ton versions) and didn't have any clearance problems at all.

The only thing I can think of is that the rims you got have a bunch of backspacing, maybe 5" or more. That's the only way I can think of them not fitting on the rear axle.

8. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

mine fit just fine...Is it a 14 bolt for sure?

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

One more for the list. I have the largest 1 ton drums available on the C14FF, and my 4" backspacing wheels clear. The front calipers on a D60 require 1/8-1/4 of material to be removed to clear. More on the outer bracket ears, less on the caliper. I wouldn’t be grinding on your drums. That is a rotating piece and you will get it out of balance.

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Are you running thin steel rims or the thick aluminum ones?

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

He stated they were 15" Rockcrawlers which are steel rims. I have never seen 15", 8-lug aluminum rims....presumably because of the clearance problems the thicker rims would cause.

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Sorry to hear that. I have 15" aluminum wheels on my 14B with disc brakes. Of course, I have the 6-lug pattern, which was my plan to begin with.

You might want to consider getting the entire brake assemblies off a junkyard 14B, or at least measuring some up.

Can you take some measurements of your drums for us (diameter, width, etc.) and also tell us the exact width and backspacing of your wheels?

If you have the wrong wheels to fit your application, 4WPW might be willing to exchange them for something that fits, too...

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They should fit. Something is wrong.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

As someone else stated, do you have a C14FF? Or maybe a Dana 70/80?

15. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have a 14 bolt out of 74 C20 that I just put 15x10s on with 3.75 back space.I think I could fit my hand between the wheel and the drum.

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Rule # 1: Never listen to 4WPH. I have seen this happen before on a semi floating 14 bolt. The cooling fins on the drum kept the wheel from sliding over it. They were ground off and the fit was fine. You really should get some rockcrawlers with 2 1/2" backspacing. PM 72 THING for more advice on the wheels. He has some and they clear his dual Dana 60s with almost no grinding.