Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn Rust!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Aug 4, 2005.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

So I get am awesome deal for a '90 K5 a few months ago. Dead battery, but started right up w/ a jump. Vehicle had a blown tranny, some rust, and mud underneath. Also had been sitting for about 2 yrs. My guess was the PO fried the tranny trying to get unstuck from somewhere based on the underside mud.

Anyway, I've been SLOWLY working on this for the past month or so to make it my play rig. If you read my signature, you'll see I've got lots of goodies to put in it.

So, the rear tailgate is a little tweaked. I pickup one for a buddy (Interceptor) to replace it. I get it off (DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT HELP!! ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!) and I really don't know how it just didn't fall off anyway. So much rust that the area the hinges mount to just about falls off. Rusted clean through. So I decide to use a P/U tailgate and softtop. Bought a tonneau/cab setup from a buddy (B_to_C) as well. Now I see that where the tailgate would mount is all rusted through. At least I figured out a way around this. Just need to get another buddy's (fwdjunky) welding help. Just don't tell him. He doesn't know yet :whistle:

I'm not really complaining too much. After all, I paid $500 for a fuel injected 1990 K5 w/ 32's and two spare 33's on aluminum rims. Already traded the blown 700R4 to a guy to put in a TH400/208 that I already had. I just never thought I'd see a Colorado rig this rusted. Makes me think it came from back home, NY :doah:

2. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I got the same problem with rusted tailgate hinges. If i open my tailgate my gate falls down, i live in the midwest tho :mad: I can buy new hinges for the bed because they're bolt on, but the gate ones are gonne be tricky cuz i pretty much i have to make my own. Thats if i ever get to that point tho.

Later

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

yeah thats why I cut mine totally off
    [​IMG]