Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn scheduling! Update.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Mar 30, 2007.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

A while ago we switched from coming in at 2:30 pm to 2:00 pm, so the overlap (30 minutes) between the three shifts was even at every end. Well, they laid off (mostly absorbed to other shifts) graveyard, and moved us back to 2:30 start. 3/5 days this week I went in early. Tuesday was because no one told me :doah:, and the other ones were just me being retarded.

At least I remembered BEFORE I left today. Yesterday I got to the driveway at work, yelled ****, flipped a bitch, and went to Jack in the Crack. :haha:

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Hey, thank god you weren't laid off.

Some members here are hurting.

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

:haha: That was just graveyard. Swing and day shifts are getting the axe today and monday. I guess it's seven people plantwide (~60-70 workers) getting the shaft.

Thanks, EPA.

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

So it's EPA-related?

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Through the grapevine. Stricter emission requirements mean new engine designs. They burn hotter, which wears parts more, decreases mileage, adds cost in initial parts. The diesel engine companies (CAT, Detroit, the big boys) went huge overtime last year stockpiling '06 engines. That kept us really busy until the start of March, when the stockpile ran out.

Now PACCAR (Kenworth, Peterbilt), whom we do most of our business with, is way down on production, because no one wants to buy the new designs right now. No one is sure how they'll pan out.

So, we're in for a slump that is estimated to last 2-5 quarters, then things will pick up, and do nothing but gain speed until the start of 2010, when another set of emission requirements come into effect. :doah:

Also, a big portion of the work (Freightliner toolboxes) that is done on my machine has moved to Mexico.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

EPA is sort of the devil... and Washington's state-level version of EPA is even worse. Those ass-clowns would regularly show up at my dad's chem plant, accuse them of something (ie putting crap in the river or something) with no proof whatsoever and slap on a "small" fine of $10-20k. If the company fought it in court, it would cost more than 10-20k.... if they didn't, then the state epa guys had a "history of environmental abuse" to use against the company in any legal cases that might be legit... but then again might not.

Some of these a-holes are nothing more than mafia wanna-bes (extortion rackets) who happen to have government-official IDs.

j

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

WOW!

Talk aboot an economic lesson there, with government regulations :doah: :mad: !

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Yep. Also, when you drive around town, look for transit buses. If they say "Gillig" anywhere on them, we built the chassis. :D

They aren't taking so much of a hit, because guess where their funding comes from? That's right. Our pockets. Especially with an election year coming up, officials want transit systems looking good.

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Yeah, it's possible I'll get laid off today or next week, but I don't know how likely it is. There's a lot of talk about "weathering it out", because they need people to bring the plant back up to speed without quality and training issues.

Although, they know I'm not a long term employee. I made that clear from the interview in August, that I would be there until I finished school, and got a job in the power industry. I also told them I'd be here for AT LEAST a year, maybe a year and a half. I reminded them of that last week, that I had every intention of keeping my word.

We'll see.

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Well, two of the people in my department on swing got the axe yesterday. They were the next two people up the seniority scale from me, I'm flat at the bottom. :crazy: I'm also getting cross-trained on a similar machine, so that's a good sign. :)

11. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

:woot: :woot: :woot:

I guess that's round one!

And I do hope it's a good sign :thumb: !