Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn senator trying to bring back the DRAFT...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by reddog64, Jan 3, 2003.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

He wants to make it so you cant get out of it by saying your feet are flat or you have poor eye sight too... you can still peel potatoes... HE FEELS IT'S ALL THE POOR AND NEEDY THAT ARE IN THE MILITARY AND THAT THE UPPER AND RICH SHOULD HAVE TO SERVE ALSO... sorry didnt see caps was on.... i wasnt yelling...

Donno much more than that other than sounds stupid to me... dont get me wrong I would go serve but i dont think i'd want to have some guy who doesnt want to be there watching my back... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I'll tell you one thing, any person in a battle situation who wants to be there is the one I worry about. It's not just the poor and needy in the military either, sure I don't see any milionaires, but there is so much diversification among the races and family background. On one side it may be good to have a mandatory military service, maybe make some people respect those that are stuck thousands of miles from their wife and month old baby boy(me). But I can't see it being practical, if we did that the military would swell many times the size it is now.

Just my opinion.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

He's just saying that so he can get more people against the President and the War on Iraq.

BTW, Charles Rangel, I think he's a rep from NY. He's pretty much just about a worthless bleeding heart liberal goof.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I would guess thats its a pure political move. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    BTW, Charles Rangel, I think he's a rep from NY. He's pretty much just about a worthless bleeding heart liberal goof.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You are correct. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

month old baby boy(me).

[/ QUOTE ]
    You type pretty good for a month old!! Just kidding, I appreciate your readiness and giving up comforts to keep this the great land I live free and powerful.
    It's a sad state when America is comfortable and forgets freedom is purchased with blood.

I'm mixed on this draft thing. If we're weak and need soldiers, and none are volunteering, maybe it's a good thing. But if I correctly understand the current state of our military and the current state of post-9/11 patriotism (what's left of it), the draft is another waste of resources by another congressman looking to make himself a name. With the '04 presidential bid becoming a focus, don't be surprised to see more complete bull$#!+ legislation pop up. After all, nominees need to select running mates.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

as there has pretty much never been an attempted invasion of the US, where does the 'freedom' and 'blood' BS come from?
    on the other hand the US has attacked pretty much all of its niegbors at one time or another, I think ole Mexico got the brunt, but Cuda, and Columbia, and even Panama the part of Columbia that your Government chewed off got jumped in recent times.
    All in the name of Freedom /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I wish all the best to the people that go to war and I hope the ones that are at home do something to stop the warmongering politicians.
    I wish Jimmy Carter or someone as level headed was still around but that isnt gonna happen.

8. nevercomplete

Yeah, I think the draft is a bad idea at this time. We would't know what to do with that many people in the military, and you sure would have a lot of people in the service who are really pissed off they are there. It was ok in the 40's, but I don't think it's a good idea now.

9. nevercomplete

Jimmy Carter /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Thats a good one!

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Initially, the blood of the militiamen that pushed back the heavy handed british rule in the American revolution, and created a country that's been free-er than most countries the world currently knows. Thier blood bought the freedom I have today to express my digust with my government. The blood of American soldiers in the World Wars and Viet Nam bought freedom for others (well, maybe not 'nam), and in a very long-term way, a maintenance of our own freedom.
    Note I said I appreciate his readiness, key word being his, not Colin Powell or Tom Daschle's. I said that intentionally regarding an invasion of our land, more specifically, the trampling invasion we got on 9/11 by a faceless foe that our military is out trying to destroy.

I don't blame the men and women of our military for American Foriegn Policy, or power-abusing politicians.

When it comes dwn to it, almost everywhere there is "freedom" (as in not-dictatorship, basic rights assured to the people), it was won through someone's death or sacrifice.

We have a job, as the people, to maintain our freedom through our political system. Not to be sheeps that allow the government grow so big it brings us back to a point where we need bloodshed to be free again.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

We have a job, as the people, to maintain our freedom through our political system. Not to be sheeps that allow the government grow so big it brings us back to a point where we need bloodshed to be free again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fear that time is here or long past, refering to the complete lack of credible opposition in your governing system.

Living under the British oppression /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif has not really hurt us, so you will have to pardon my dismissal of that well worn bit of propaganda

12. nevercomplete

Jealousy is an ugly thing. I wish my ancestors had lived under another countries rule instead of having the foresight to see what they could do on their own. I'm tired of being a citizen of the greatest nation on the planet.

Do you sense the sarcasm?

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, I can't speak for what british rule was genuinely like in the 1700's, and I can't speak for what it is like for you today. I know by American tainted history that Britain had a Monarch that once had some power, which is now in the hands of a "democratic" parliament. Perhaps if America had not overthrown British rule, your British Opression would be more appropriately termed "oppression".

Is it time? I think you may be right. I wonder a lot how we can recover from our current state of political madness. I don't believe we hear the truth in the modern media, which is too wrapped up in interviewing itself, and I have no doubt that more than necessary is hidden from "We the People". It took a "Freedom of Information" act to loosen government file cabinets, and even now, complying with the FoI act to get useful information is extremely difficult. Most useful information is still not available anyway.

I'm against most current Gun Control legislation and laws, partially because I fear a government that feels it needs to disarm it's citizens.

The sad thing is, many of my fellow countrymen put on rose-colored glasses and hope the government, the police, "Authority", will be there to protect them, and will make a world that will keep them protected. Maybe it's a result of conditioning to believe so. I distrust most of our politicians motives. There are people in the world that will put on sheep's clothing moments before they devour you, or years before they devour you. What's our government made of? Genuine Sheep that seek our better interests, Sheep not smart or patient enough to wait, or Sheep cunning and patient enough to wait before devouring you?

And oddly enough, for my love of my country, I have a line from a movie that had an Austrian star in my signature...

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

LOL
    yeah thats it, I wish I was American /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif as does every person in the world.
    If I could only find a way to sneak across the line I would never come home.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I think ole Mexico got the brunt,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Rightfully so. When Blackjack Pershing went across the border in the early 1900's, it was to stop the raiders that had been jumping the border and attacking Americans. The War of Texas, well that can't count since at the time Texas was a part of Mexico and then the Mexican-American War started when a Mexican detachment crossed the border, so whatever we gave Mexico, they deserved it.

16. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

What with all this anti-american crap you're spouting out? Just reading two of your posts today has already put me in a bad mood. You must be one of the liberals we always make fun of because you seem to get offended by the jokes.

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

as there has pretty much never been an attempted invasion of the US

[/ QUOTE ]
    Check your history. War of 1812! I guess the British were just having a weenie roast when they set fire to Washington.

on the other hand the US has attacked pretty much all of its niegbors at one time or another, I think ole Mexico got the brunt, but Cuda, and Columbia, and even Panama the part of Columbia that your Government chewed off got jumped in recent times.

[/ QUOTE ]
    We never did invade Canada /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. On the other hand it was our military just to the south of you that kept the Soviets from rolling through Canada. I know you will say thats BS but you know it true. Hell I was told that by one of the Canadian members on this board.
    Lets see what other bad things we have done in the name of freedom.
    Help liberate Europe/Africa from the Nazi's. Which would have never happend with out our industrial might.
    Stop the Japanese from conquering the South Pacific/Far East and more than likely Austraila.
    Defend Berlin (Germany) from the Soviets for 40+ years

Maybe you should be thanking our Vets for all that they have done not only for our country but for yours. With out us you would be speaking either German (Hitler would have loved to have your natural resources) Japanese (same thing as Hitler wanted) Or Russian (same as before).

Im thankfull for the Canadian Vets who died for my freedom and I also know they spilled a lot of blood in France.
    The point I am trying to make is we are supposed to be Allies not enamys with out one another neither country would have survived the 20th century.

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

anti american GOVERNMENT posts
    there is a difference

19. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

What with all this anti-american crap you're spouting out? Just reading two of your posts today has already put me in a bad mood. You must be one of the liberals we always make fun of because you seem to get offended by the jokes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm...as an American, I fail to find the anti-American sentiment that you must see...evidently I have been blinded by the liberal, anti-American, Canadian propaganda. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Soo...let me get this straight, everyone who has a different POV than you, no matter their reasoning or thought, is a GAWD DAMN LIBERAL? Define 'liberalism', as you see it, just so I know where you are coming from. Do you know where you are coming from?

20. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

there are lots of benefits to required military service...for example in israel and switzerland both have mandatory service, both have really low crime rates and what not...guess thats cause most everyone realizes that ya break in and your gonna get shot...plus military service is a good way to teach people about responsibility and obligation to society instead of our current social trends that focus on everyones drag ass problems. I'm all for it....hell sign me up