Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DAMN!.... Snow Removal...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stockk5, Nov 23, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

2. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

that sure sucks for your sheet metal...

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Thats focking stupid.. so the snow is gonna melt...then refreeze...hmmm can anyone here say... ICE?:rolleyes:

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Not only are they using the salt, but you may not know that calcium chloride is to aluminum what salt is to steel. Glad I don't live in your state. Sorry.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

'

yeah it is, we used to sell that stuff when i worked at a hardware store, it ate right through our aluminum shivel we left in a pail of it:crazy:

6. stockk5

damn it all! haha hmm gotta find a plastic truck... aka fiberglass tub.. and stay off highways... or state roads..

7. tomford

tomford 1/2 ton status Premium Member

can you say winter beater....

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

thats the whole point of using slat, it raises the freezing point of water, so it wont refreeze

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i heart the south.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

:D :waytogo: ARIZONA :waytogo: :D

:D Don't have to worry about it :D

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

This i understand, but it still gets cold enough to refreeze...Especially at night

Btw... it lowers the freezing point:p:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Get the tree huggers involved tell...lol

I wondered about that one time doesnt all that road salt have some effect on something wouldnt you think.

When winter time comes I stick to the gravel roads or the back roads that dont get much salt on them. Much more of a pain in the butt to drive on but I hate road salt

13. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd far rather drive on sheer ice than on salted roads.

Simply retarded, esspecially here in Canada, where it gets way colder than salt is effective for, then it just collects on your sheet metal, and eats it away when you park inside, and the snow melts.

Not only that, but I personally believe slush to be way more slick than sheet ice is. People just need to learn to slow down, and drive to the conditions.

For example, I had to drive in to school this morning, as the buses were so late I'd never have made it to class in time. I was in 2wd the whole way, and never once lost traction, but all the morons around me were locked into 4x4, and sliding all over the place. Slow down a touch, take 20 seconds to accelerate instead of 5, and everything will be just fine....

14. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I love Oregon and I will never leave again.

15. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

washing your rig in the winter helps getting all that junk off it

16. stockk5

looks like i will be washing it a lot this winter...

17. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mine gets a bath twice a week, minimum...

18. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Hence why I couldn't bear to get a good condition AZ 73 tub and just have it rust away again.
    All fibergalss tub baby....stainless fasteners in alot of places expect where grade 5 or 8 is required, imron coated frame and drivetrain....

[​IMG]

Here in MI, they are starting to realize that they use too much salt, and the a study has concluded that the 2 mainlakes around the lower, Huron and Michigan, WILL become salunated by like 2030 or something, if the current use trend continues.
    But it is friggen ridicoulous, they use WAY too much salt. Salt the intersections and such, main streches, just use sand. If the forcast calls for snow tommorow, they'll be out pre-salting all night. It's stupid. And yeah, if they salt then don't keep resalting, it just re-freezes if the temp is below like 25 or so. I remember one time driving back from school (in Michigan's UP), snow ice the whole way, by the time I got near home, I was calise to the whole thing, just driving along. It was snowing heavy here in SE MI, they had salted 1 lane of the freeway, it was a 3" slush lane, and there was a line of cars there crawling like 20mph, I was over in the fast lane, clean dry powder snow, that just blew away when you drove over it. My tires were on dry pavement the whole time, I was doing like 60 in the fast lane blowing by the line of cars in the slush lane.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

unnessasary and stupid...SALT SUCKS!...

I hate calcium cloride--for decades our parents got along just fine,with plain old sand,and in later years rock salt was added--I dont recall us ever being stranded in a blizzard because of a lack of SALT on the roads,and we lived in Fithchburg MA,that has as many hills as San Francisco,only we got 2' of snow most every storm !!..sand barrels were at the bottom,top,and every intersection of the hilly roads..our cars never rusted as quickly as they do now,even with the rock salt in the sand....I swear this is a conspiracy sponsored by car manufacturers and those who sell this crap,so we are forced to buy another vehicle sooner..

I've watched ALL the vehicles I've owned over the years disintergrate and rot away,from this evil substance..and its about impossible to get more than a year or two out of fuel and brake lines,and tranny cooler lines due to this stupidity..not to mention exhaust systems and brake rotors,etc..

Instead of dumping salt on the roads,that causes MORE troubles than it solves,killing trees and vegatation along road sides,polluting wells,and making your vehicle dissolve before your eyes in a matter of a few years,they should have the yuppie morons who cant DRIVE to save their sorry asses take a winter driving course--or simply tell them to STAY HOME when it snows!--they want to be able to go 75 mph regardless of weather conditions,and do it one handed,so the other hand can hold their cell phones to their ears..or a coffee cup to their lips..I feel no sympathy for them if I see one bounce off a gaurdrail ,after passing me at 60+ mph in a raging nor-easter...

They use no salt in Maine,and they get more snow than any of the other states in new england..the difference is people there CARE about the environment,and aren't so stupid as to drive like its a dry sunny day in august when its snowing out..and guess what,every time I've been there during a storm,their roads are either bare pavement or has had the snow "rolled" and packed down rather than plowed..makes our steets look like crap,and they dont have state of the art equipment like we do here..they still use chains too,and know how to install them!..

I say sand the roads ,but NO salt!...I'd say 95% of all my vehicles problems are due to rust ,caused mostly by calcium cloride..if I lived in Arizona,the only things rusted would be my tools,because I'd never have to USE them to replace rotted vehicle parts..and my wallet would be thicker too..:(

20. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

WAY too much salt is an understatement.my fav is thr tired blow truck driver who forgets to turn off the salt spreader when he is stopped at a red light.by the time he gets going there is a 2 foot hill left there.:eek1: yes sir salt. another reason i take a lay off.i sit at home and watch the jackassery on the news.