Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

damn.. so the 350 engine fell out of the back of the truck yesterday.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Sep 14, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i tell ya....... its always something

well the 77 LM1 engine i WAS getting ready to swap into the 71 dually slid right clean out of the 81 pickup yesterday when i was going up to the gas station for the neighbor to get him gas since he ran out of gas in his 84 454 burban in my driveway out here,,

well on the way back to here form the station i took off a little fast and the damned engine slid right out and onto the street and it rolled three or four times, busted a coupel pushrods, bent three valves clean over, landed on the crank pulley real hard bent that,,

i consider it a total loss and was just gonna put it to the side of the road an dleave it but my neighbor insisted we get it picked back up and into truck again so we got a couple other ppl and a long bar and chain and l;ifted it back in

well its not looking pretty the valves are bent over so much i cant get a couple head bolts out of pass side head to get them off so i can junk them(882 heads)

and if i am REAL lucky i can just replace crank thrust bearing and the heads and pulley and flexplate and be fine

but what are the odds ?

its a 200 dollar all original high mileage was good runner 350 2 bolt out of a 77 caprice, is one of those old heavy 3970010 blocks and the cylinder walls show like no ridge lip wear at all on the driver side anyways so its probably only around hair over 100k miles on it,

what would you do ?

do you think its worse than just smashed trust bearing ?

couldnt have bent crank snout or anything on a stock cast crank could it ?

hmm..

i wont spend any more $ on it other than thrust bearing and gaskets
    also i notice one of the lifters came apart in it, the plunger clip flew out and was around the pushrod

so may need lifters too from the impact damage,.

its not looking pretty, may have to write this one off as another loss and give to scrap guy,

thanks

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just be happy there wasn't someone tailgating you!

That is always a big concern to me when I move an engine around in the back of one of my trucks. Tie down straps are a minimum for me, and I always like to put the engine onto a tire for a bit more traction.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

wtf?!? :surepal: :shame:

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , with most of the common cars being crushed left and right , those blocks will never be in the same numbers they used to be . 3970010 could of come 2 or 4 bolt main , mostly 2 bolt after 1976 .

I would get those heads off , procure another set , and re-ring it :D

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

why ?

its pretty bad.,.

you should see the damage.

i dont know what else to do

i dont want ot tear the crank out and do all the work

not worth it to me

but i just wonder if it could be any worse damage than thrust bearing ?

of all the times that this could have happened and of all the billions of times ive hauled engines around in back of trucks regardless of having a gate or not, i never woulda thought this time would have been it,
    no way,.

but it was..

hum

could have been way worse though, could have been in traffic, could have been vehicle damage or worse, it could have been more than a 200 dollar engine

and so forth

its probably just gonna be a write off,

hell i cant even get the other cylinder head bolts out, no way to get on them with the bent over valves and springs

thanks

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

might be junk...

I'd say look it over REAL good inside with the pan off before spending any money on it!..we dropped a small block off the forkloader at the junkyard,it was swinging on a chain about 8' off the ground over a concrete slab when it fell--landed on the starter/flexplate area,and rolled into the dirt! :doah: :eek: :blush: --we didn't see much damage other than the flexplate was bent,and the starter got twisted..we figured no big deal,we had to swap it to the manual tranny flywheel in the truck we were putting it in--luckily the starter bolts bent,and the block didn't crack there..

Got the dam thing all installed and wired ,fired it up--it rapped like hell for about 30 seconds,then it locked up solid! :doah: --after we took it back out,we pulled the oil pan off--the center main bearing web was split right in two,the block was JUNK!...it ran great just before we pulled it!--and it had a gallon or two of prestone in the oilpan too--soon as we saw that I started playing "taps" on the violin... :whistle: :frown1: :surepal: --and started looking for another one to pull out.. :doah:

Look at the bright side--scrap is 85 bucks a ton now! (here anyway)...your very lucky it didnt hit anyone else,or another car! :eek1: :crazy: We used a tire under the oilpan while transporting a motor too,and usually had a closed tailgate too,along with a rope or strap..cops here are pretty anal about unsecured loads--they sit across the street from Lowe's all the time and ticket people hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood on the roof of their honda's ! :rolleyes: :crazy:

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sounds like a lot of negligence on your part. I've had enginges in the bed of my truck for a week, but I try to tie them down so they can't go anywhere.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I think his point was that it's pretty lame to just "ditch" your garbage on the side of the road just because it's of no use to you......

....might be more in keeping with a "Tread Lightly" mentality to pack up what you dropped (in this case, an entire ENGINE) and take it with you.

9. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Man, just attack the bent valves & springs with the angle grinder and you can get your head studs out.
    New heads off a siezed lump somewhere ( check the forum), crank pully, rocker covers etc (ditto) and swop the thrust bearing if you have to.
    You could check the crank by setting a dial-gauge on it and measuring the run-out turning the engine by hand. Shortblock is probably ok. Or advertise it for sale on the parts forum.
    Be pos.!

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

DING DING DING!!!

Good or bad, your fault or no fault, you can't leave your garage out for someone else to pick up. That displays a complete lack of respect for other people and/or surroundings.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well what was i supposed to do magically pick it up all by myself and my neighbor, we couldnt get it very far off the ground how it was

sheesh

chill out

all i did was post a thread to get some opinions then you guys start jacking on me about leaving an engine on the side of the street, although a couple of you guys did post helpful info and really tried and i appreciate that :D
    but i am 90% sure at this point i wont be renewing my membership here, next month, a couple members on here are so negative that i cant stand it, i have no desire to put up with them, its not worth it to me, i tried to help out fellow members as much as i could- as i always do- yet it seems to be shot down every time,

this engine would not have sat VERY long before someone would have snagged it for scrap, this is a podunk ugly small town with lots of small time scrapper guys running aorund, you guys have no idea, at all..
    yes it doesnt mean that its right to jsut lkeave it, i know this, yo dont have yell at me about it, but i ALMOST had NO choice here...
    i guess you dont have ability to imagine scenarios, or actually dont care and care more about jacking on a person rather than feeling what happened.
    so screw you too then,

ive decided to junk the engine

its not looking good and ive got another engine i have to junk too that i was gonna save the good heads and intake from but an intake bolt snapped off on me just now and im fed up with it all so im junking it too,

i give up on engines and such, its not the same like it used to be back in the day when everything went smooth and fine,
    too old for this crap anymore
    tired of it
    and im not going to the yard that pays for metal, it is 40 miles away from here, i am going to the small local yard just to get rid of them and some more stuff(yet again) i am gonna get rid of im tired of looking at around here

going to the scrap yard now, bbl

thanks

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Boat anchor. :thinking:

13. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

let me get this straight.. your engine was in the back of your truck, not tied down, no tailgate, and not on a tire... Was it just sitting on the oilpan? If this is correct, then what the hell did you think was gonna happen?

If you can get the engine running for half of what you paid for it.. id say put it in the truck and run it till it comes apart. youd only be out 250 bucks..

14. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Are complete sentences really that hard to come by these days?

15. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

wtf are you talking about? I see more punctuation on my post, then most of the other stuff i read on here...aside from the fact that i dont use caps where i should

Please professor can you disect my post and tell me what i did wrong? :bow:

16. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

wow... this thread has a bit of bitching? as far as jacking you about your engine being left there, they were just saying it's not cool. They're not saying "burn in hell for leaving it on the side of the road" obviously sometimes cercumstances won't let you to get it, but this time they did. And you got it... so no biggy. As far as complete sentances... last time I checked this was a truck formum... does it really matter all that much?

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Sorry for your loss of an engine. Im sure you wont let an engine sit by itself unsecured again!

But I agree with some people's post-

Around where I am, even though scrap is worth money, a junked engine will just sit there. Nobody will move it or take it. So while it may seem normal and natural for you in your area for the scrap beetles (like dung beetles) to come and pickup scrap metal along the side of the road, it doesnt happen elsewhere and hence, the misunderstanding.

CK5 is like any city- you will have the ones you like to deal with, and those who you dont. Such is life, you cant move from one city to another everytime you meet someone who you dont like.

18. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

Yes he can.

19. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

So you didnt secure your cargo properly? What do you expect the engine to do, hold itself in the truck on its own? Secondly I cant belive you would just leave a whole engine on the side of the road for somebody else to come along and pick it up. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I may not well known / been around for a long time -- But that was a bit out of line, and uncalled for.

Remember what your mommy might have said, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all! :wink1: