Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn Squeaky Springs!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Oct 29, 2000.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have a Procomp lift (That SUCKS) right now, and the springs in the front make a loud squeak when I hit a speedbump or a bump in the road. How can I get rid of this sound?

2. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem. I've thought about putting a water proof grease between the leafs. Don't know if that will work or not. Any other ideas?

blazen91

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

The only thing that gets rid of the squeak is when I wash the springs with water!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do your springs have the poly bushings? Mine does the same thing and I have the poly bushings in my front springs.
    I wonder if it could be dis-assembled and greased? I was going to take mine apart and sand the springs smooth, paint them and see if I can find some teflon strips to put between the leafs. I would also grease the bushings if I could, maybe even just the bolt that goes through it.
    Mine also quiets down when the springs get wet, thats why I thought it might be the bushings.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

ORD sells greasable bolts for poly bushings so you don't have to disassemble to grease them. I put some marine grease between my old leafs, and it made the ride a little better for a few days and it might ahve squeaked a little less, but I don't remember.

90K5

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

If you get some graphite impregnated grease or teflon spray greaser you disassemble you spring bushings and recoat the bushings. I would do with greaseable spring bolts for later useage.